Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ISO creative solution to bumping mirrors

Posted by coolbeans (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 10:34

In our hall bath reno, we replaced a crappy old medicine cabinet with a handsome Kohler unit that has a beveled mirror door. It had to go exactly where the previous one was, on the right wall perpendicular to the vanity mirror, so it opens toward the vanity mirror. Problem is that the med cab door opens more than 90 degrees and bangs into the vanity mirror. Contractor says hinges can't be modified to "stop" at 90 degrees. (True?) He recommends putting a clear plastic bumper on the top corner of the med cab mirror to cushion the inevitable collision. Will resort to this if necessary, but would prefer a better or more decorative solution. Any ideas? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ISO creative solution to bumping mirrors

Can you somehow attach a short piece of chain to the interior of the medicine cabinet (inside frame and back of mirror) so the chain stops the med cab from opening too far?

I'm thinking you would need to use shortened bolts or something else with a wide head.. those would go thru the chain and then get superglued to the cabinet on each side

o

Interesting idea, tracie.erin!

o

I have the same medicine cabinet. It opens past 90 degrees. But then we put a wood frame around it on the wall. Now the wood frame keeps it from opening all the way. It wasn't the goal to have the corner of the mirror hit the frame -- but it maybe a solution for you?

o

Yes, indeed, ShellKing, your idea may provide the path to a solution. I hadn't considered that something adjacent to the outside door hinges, like a frame, would stop it. The med cab is so close to the wall corner that I could probably devise a bumper there that would be fairly invisible and would stop the door. Much better than affixing a bumper to the mirror itself. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here