Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robin1916

soap dish ON tile or set IN tile?

robin1916
11 years ago

Greetings again!

I'm playing catch up with an ongoing shower re-tiling.

My first mistake was, because of a huge time constraint, not spending my normal amount of research time before even beginning.

My second mistake was hiring a fella who was a "handy man" and not an official tile guy.

My third mistake was going out of town on a scheduled trip to take dd#2 to college.

I came home hoping that the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach was unwarranted. Nope, it wasn't. I'm not a tile person and even *I* could see things that should have been done differently.

I chose Bucak Light Walnut (many questions will follow). The people I bought the tile from said the soap dishes should go ON the tile not set INTO the tile. I told the handyman that. I came home to find the soap dishes were set into the tile.

Now I am doing the research I SHOULD have set time aside for. On this VERY list, I read in the FAQ that soap dishes should be set on the tile to prevent water from getting behind them and creating water damage.

How big a problem is this going to be? They aren't directly in the line of the shower water, but water splashed off bodies will definitely hit them.

Any words of ... consolation? as in "not really a problem, that's old school" or should I make him rip them out and do it the other way? He has not grouted yet.

Thanks for any info!

Robin

Comments (8)