Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should sides of shower niche be same tile as back wall of niche?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 10:28

my tile guy suggests no, but it seems like it'd look more interesting if the sides and top and bottom of the niche was the same tile as the back, especially since this niche will have a contrasting color and format as the shower wall tile. any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should sides of shower niche be same tile as back wall of nic

Dealer's choice here. Your money...your project. Lay some tiles out both ways and go with what you like.

o

I agree. the only one with the correct answer is YOU. Not me, not Steve (Stonetech), and certainly not your installer. I've done it both ways, and either way looks good when complete. it all depends on YOUR taste, and you're the one who's going to have to live with it afterward.

o

The one other thing I'll offer is that if you have a fairly mundane tile for the shower walls, using a different material in the niche...a natural stone, something with more visual detail, for example, might really set the shower off in a good way.

o

Example-- one I'll be doing in about 2 weeks will have a 3' long niche across the back wall of the tub. The tub walls will be subway tiles, and the back of the niche will be river rock.

o

Here's one with a lot of contrast done on a houseboat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Niche

o

Sorry. Try again.............

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Niche

o

threeapples, my tile guy was the same, said the sides should be the same, that's how it *was done.* So I went along with it, and while I do like my niche a lot, I wish I would have done the sides of the niche in the same as the back of the niche. My shower walls are white subway, which I love, and the back of the niche is a honed marble mosaic and you don't really get the contrast of the marble unless you are right in the shower looking directly at the niche. If I had done the sides as well as the back in marble, I'd have been able to see it from outside of the shower, and at different angles from outside of the shower. ah well, live and learn!

o

Personally, I prefer to see the niche blend in. In fact, I go thru great pains to make sure it fllas ion line with the coursing of the wall tile, for just that reason. But jsut for perspective, I'll show pics of it both ways-- one accented with different tile, and one that blends:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Beautiful work, Bill.....both of 'em!

o

I kept the top/bottom/sides the same as the field tile and only used the accent on the back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here