Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Before & After Reveal: Hall/Kids' Bath

Posted by azul99 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 9:58

Thank you all for helping me think through my choices for this bathroom. The "before" is circa 1952, with some jazzy (70s?) updates along the way, maybe - we're not sure. To me that brown iridescent tile looks 70s, not 50s, but our contractor thought it was original.

Anyway, with no further ado, here is the before photo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Before & After Reveal: Hall/Kids' Bath

After (this is the first of several photos of the remodeled bathroom):

o

View from the window end:

o

Shower area:

o

There are outlets in both the vanity drawer, and in the linen cabinet.

o

Products used:

IKEA Godmorgon vanity and matching high cabinet in glossy white

IKEA Odensvik sink

IKEA Granskar bath faucet

Kohler Mendota bathtub

Target shower curtain, tumbler and soap dish (all Target Threshold line)

Moen curved shower rod

Toto Drake toilet

MAXX recessed medicine cabinet

Seagull Lighting Academy Three-Light vanity fixture (all fixtures are chrome)

Moen Preston Inspirations towel bar (in the tub area) and toilet paper holder

Amerock towel hooks

Delta Faucet grab bar

Delta Classic Monitor 17 series tub and shower trim

This post was edited by azul99 on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:20

o

Pocket Door. Thank you for looking!

o

Cool--

did you consider a glass door vs shower curtain?
Cost can be expensive but in your space a pivot door might not have been functional either...

I like the light fixture--

what type if any waterproof membrane did you use in shower?
and where did you get the tile for shower

This post was edited by loves2read on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:01

o

I love it!!! More photos please!

Tell us about your faucet. I went with a wide-spread, but next time I'd do a single unit. I like the way the niches are trimmed. Please show the shower fixtures.

Where did you get your shower curtain?

o

loves2read:

I did consider a glass door vs shower curtain - we have a glass door in our master bath. It is a bit of a pain in the neck to keep clean. Also, since this is a kids' bath, a curtain is preferable for logistical purposes in bathing children.

I don't know what type waterproof membrane was used in the shower as the contractors did the work and we relied on their expertise. They have done work for us in the past and I trust them implicitly.

The tile is from a local shop. I think it is American Olean brand. It is pretty standard-looking subway tile/pencil liner/basketweave.

o

linelle,

Thank you!

The faucet is the IKEA Granskar. I was hesitant about using IKEA for the faucet, but I wanted to make sure it worked with the sink, and it has a ten-year limited warranty and pretty good reviews. We have two teenage boys and I wanted a single unit because it is easier to clean.

I like the way the niches are trimmed, as well - thank you! We love our contractors.

I'll take more photos later and show you the shower fixtures.

The shower curtain is from Target! I spotted it in an issue of HGTV Magazine and it seemed like a good fit for the space, stylistically speaking.

o

linelle, here is another photo with a partial view of the shower fixtures:

o

So sorry, duplicate/erroneous post.

This post was edited by azul99 on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:28

o

Great job. I really like the simplicity of it. Also that if you want a radical change, all you do is change the paint color. Although I love the one you have now!

o

Great job! Love the simplicity and how elegant it is.

I am planning a remodel of a kids bathroom( one kid actually ) which will be used as a guest bath too.
My question is how you picked the bathtub?
I cannot decide between cast iron and acrylic. I like the shapes of the acrylic tubs more ( I am going for a modern mid century look ) and need a more square but still deep enough tub.

Do you like the Mendota? Can you please post more pictures of it? Thank you!

o

thedork,

I wanted a cast-iron bathtub because IMO they look nicer than the acrylic ones; they hold the temperature of hot water for longer; and overall they seem like better quality than acrylic, fiberglass, or Americast tubs. So, after narrowing the choice to cast iron, we considered the Mendota, the Villager, and the Bellwether.

We eliminated the Bellwether because the end is curved such that a longer-than-standard spout is needed for the faucet (annoying). Then we eliminated the Villager as too low a height for bathing purposes. (I intend to bathe in this tub as our master bathroom has only a shower.) The Mendota gets good reviews and was in our price range, so there you are.

So far we are very happy with it. FWIW I think it is pretty modern-looking. As you can see, this bathroom is a mix of traditional and modern elements.

More photos to follow.

o

Top view:

o

Turned out beautiful! I remember when you were first asking questions about the remodeling you had planned...and now it's finished!

o

Stunning! The black and white is crisp and clean feeling. Well done!

o

Thank you for posting the pictures of the bathtub! I'll consider it for sure. It looks very nice.

o

I really like your choices. I have a shower to re-do and am considering subway. Did you use white grout? Is the floor hard to keep clean? TIA !!

o

arapaho, it's only been a week :-) so I can't speak to how easy it is to keep the subway tile clean, but we used the same tile in our master bath last year and it has not been hard to keep clean.

RE white grout - we used white grout on the walls, and grey for the floor.

o

Very nice, I love the light colors. I've seen to many dark homes and don't like them at all.

o

Wow! This looks amazing! I was wondering if you could share the dimensions of your bathroom and the vanity? We are beginning a remodel of our bathroom from 1956 and it looks like the dimensions might be very similar to yours. I am intrigued by your idea of a smaller vanity and the addition of the tower. Many thanks in advance!

o

katezli, the bathroom measures 50" wide (without the tub alcove) by almost 10' long. So, not very big.

For this reason we chose the IKEA vanity, which measures just 40" wide by 18" deep. The linen tower is also small (just 11" deep by 15" wide). The combination of them, along with the fact that they are wall-mounted, gives the room a much airier/spacious feel than it had before.

Our house is a 1952 ranch.

This post was edited by azul99 on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 14:25

o

Thank you! These measurements are very helpful. Again, great job!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here