Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosiegolden

Before & After Reveal: Hall/Kids' Bath

rosiegolden
9 years ago

Thank you all for helping me think through my choices for this bathroom. The "before" is circa 1952, with some jazzy (70s?) updates along the way, maybe - we're not sure. To me that brown iridescent tile looks 70s, not 50s, but our contractor thought it was original.

Anyway, with no further ado, here is the before photo.

Comments (43)

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After (this is the first of several photos of the remodeled bathroom):

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View from the window end:

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shower area:

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are outlets in both the vanity drawer, and in the linen cabinet.

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Products used:

IKEA Godmorgon vanity and matching high cabinet in glossy white

IKEA Odensvik sink

IKEA Granskar bath faucet

Kohler Mendota bathtub

Target shower curtain, tumbler and soap dish (all Target Threshold line)

Moen curved shower rod

Toto Drake toilet

MAAX recessed medicine cabinet

Seagull Lighting Academy Three-Light vanity fixture (all fixtures are chrome)

Moen Preston Inspirations towel bar (in the tub area) and toilet paper holder

Amerock towel hooks

Delta Faucet grab bar

Delta Classic Monitor 17 series tub and shower trim

This post was edited by azul99 on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 20:40

• loves2read
    9 years ago

Cool--

did you consider a glass door vs shower curtain?
    Cost can be expensive but in your space a pivot door might not have been functional either...

I like the light fixture--

what type if any waterproof membrane did you use in shower?
    and where did you get the tile for shower

This post was edited by loves2read on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:01

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I love it!!! More photos please!

Tell us about your faucet. I went with a wide-spread, but next time I'd do a single unit. I like the way the niches are trimmed. Please show the shower fixtures.

Where did you get your shower curtain?

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

loves2read:

I did consider a glass door vs shower curtain - we have a glass door in our master bath. It is a bit of a pain in the neck to keep clean. Also, since this is a kids' bath, a curtain is preferable for logistical purposes in bathing children.

I don't know what type waterproof membrane was used in the shower as the contractors did the work and we relied on their expertise. They have done work for us in the past and I trust them implicitly.

The tile is from a local shop. I think it is American Olean brand. It is pretty standard-looking subway tile/pencil liner/basketweave.

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

linelle,

Thank you!

The faucet is the IKEA Granskar. I was hesitant about using IKEA for the faucet, but I wanted to make sure it worked with the sink, and it has a ten-year limited warranty and pretty good reviews. We have two teenage boys and I wanted a single unit because it is easier to clean.

I like the way the niches are trimmed, as well - thank you! We love our contractors.

I'll take more photos later and show you the shower fixtures.

The shower curtain is from Target! I spotted it in an issue of HGTV Magazine and it seemed like a good fit for the space, stylistically speaking.

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

linelle, here is another photo with a partial view of the shower fixtures:

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So sorry, duplicate/erroneous post.

This post was edited by azul99 on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 11:28

• LE
    9 years ago

Great job. I really like the simplicity of it. Also that if you want a radical change, all you do is change the paint color. Although I love the one you have now!

• Denitza Kotov
    9 years ago

Great job! Love the simplicity and how elegant it is.

I am planning a remodel of a kids bathroom( one kid actually ) which will be used as a guest bath too.
    My question is how you picked the bathtub?
    I cannot decide between cast iron and acrylic. I like the shapes of the acrylic tubs more ( I am going for a modern mid century look ) and need a more square but still deep enough tub.

Do you like the Mendota? Can you please post more pictures of it? Thank you!

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thedork,

I wanted a cast-iron bathtub because IMO they look nicer than the acrylic ones; they hold the temperature of hot water for longer; and overall they seem like better quality than acrylic, fiberglass, or Americast tubs. So, after narrowing the choice to cast iron, we considered the Mendota, the Villager, and the Bellwether.

We eliminated the Bellwether because the end is curved such that a longer-than-standard spout is needed for the faucet (annoying). Then we eliminated the Villager as too low a height for bathing purposes. (I intend to bathe in this tub as our master bathroom has only a shower.) The Mendota gets good reviews and was in our price range, so there you are.

So far we are very happy with it. FWIW I think it is pretty modern-looking. As you can see, this bathroom is a mix of traditional and modern elements.

More photos to follow.

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Top view:

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Turned out beautiful! I remember when you were first asking questions about the remodeling you had planned...and now it's finished!

• itltrot
    9 years ago

Stunning! The black and white is crisp and clean feeling. Well done!

• Denitza Kotov
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting the pictures of the bathtub! I'll consider it for sure. It looks very nice.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

I really like your choices. I have a shower to re-do and am considering subway. Did you use white grout? Is the floor hard to keep clean? TIA !!

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

arapaho, it's only been a week :-) so I can't speak to how easy it is to keep the subway tile clean, but we used the same tile in our master bath last year and it has not been hard to keep clean.

RE white grout - we used white grout on the walls, and grey for the floor.

• emma
    9 years ago

Very nice, I love the light colors. I've seen to many dark homes and don't like them at all.

• katezli
    9 years ago

Wow! This looks amazing! I was wondering if you could share the dimensions of your bathroom and the vanity? We are beginning a remodel of our bathroom from 1956 and it looks like the dimensions might be very similar to yours. I am intrigued by your idea of a smaller vanity and the addition of the tower. Many thanks in advance!

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

katezli, the bathroom measures 50" wide (without the tub alcove) by almost 10' long. So, not very big.

For this reason we chose the IKEA vanity, which measures just 40" wide by 18" deep. The linen tower is also small (just 11" deep by 15" wide). The combination of them, along with the fact that they are wall-mounted, gives the room a much airier/spacious feel than it had before.

Our house is a 1952 ranch.

This post was edited by azul99 on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 14:25

• katezli
    9 years ago

Thank you! These measurements are very helpful. Again, great job!

• minuteb
    9 years ago

absolutely love how this turned out. do you happen to have a picture of how the plumbing was done under the sink. I'm looking at the same ikea sink/vanity combo and would love to have something to show my plumber! Many thanks for sharing!

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

Beautiful and Classic. Wonderful job. You are going to love that the vanity is off the floor. It is one of my favorite things about my own bathrooms. Sounds silly, but it makes cleaning so much easier. And the bathroom scale will fit nicely underneath....

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

awalker, I'm afraid I don't as the plumbing is behind the drawers - my contractors didn't need to cut the drawer to make it work.

If you google "godmorgon plumbing installation," you are sure to get some good info for your plumber.

Thank you for your kind words! We are very happy with the new bathroom. I highly recommend the vanity - SO much storage!

• Leeann Werner Wroblewski
    8 years ago

Looks beautiful! How has the ikea vanity held up? I am planning my bath and like the style of Ikea but was worried that it wouldn't hold up.

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Leeann, it has been 18 months and everything is holding up beautifully. My teenage boys are pretty hard on things but no problems at all.

The vanity has a ten year warranty as does the sink. It was an excellent choice as it has no seams and is therefore easy to keep clean.
  • qbryant
    8 years ago

Were did the tall cabinet come from ?

thanks

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Abeyance, it is from IKEA? It is the Godmorgon tall/high cabinet, in glossy white.
  • rosiegolden
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Not "abeyance"! Qbryant!
  • silken1
    8 years ago

I really love how your bathroom came together.

• Sylwia Hunsinger
    8 years ago

Beautiful bathroom! similar to what we plan to do. do you remember the grout color you used on the floor?

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Silken, thank you!
  • rosiegolden
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sylwia, I don't know the exact color/brand, but we used grey grout on the floor tile. I think it had the word "silver" in the name.

Thank you!
  • Karenseb
    8 years ago

I missed your reveal 18 months ago and just wanted to say it looks really nice. My daughter is considering the Mendota. How does the non slip surface work for you? Does it need to be cleaned often? Is it easy or difficult to keep clean?

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Karenseb, sorry, just saw your question now. We have been very happy with the Mendota. Very easy to clean and it is still very fresh-looking.
  • ontariomom
    7 years ago

I absolutely love everything you did. I especially like the floor tile, and how you carried the subway tile for the bottom half of all the walls. What a nice tie in to the shower. I too wonder if the white grout will take some effort to keep clean.

Carol

• grannysmith18
    7 years ago

Love your bathroom!

One more question about the Mendota, please. How do like its water depth? Do you guys use it to take baths or just showers? I'm back and forthe between the Mendota and the Bellwether. I wish, Iwish, I wish, there was someplace that carried both and I could just see and measure for myself.

According to the Kohler provided specs:

The 60 x 32 Bellwether is 15 1/2 inches high, and the water depth is 11 5/16.

The 60 x 32 Mendota is slightly taller - 16 1/4 inches, but the water is 10 7/8.

I'd prefer the Mendota because the Bellwether has that sloped front end which shortens the basin, so you get an extra 2 inches in the Mendota.

I just don't know what to do.

• rosiegolden
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi grannysmith18, so sorry for the delay - I just saw your message now. I am the only one who uses the tub for bathing, and I like it. I chose the Mendota over the Bellwether because of that sloped front end on the Bellwether, which limits your faucet choices. It's been a few years and we are very happy with the Mendota!

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

Just bumping this to see how OP likes that Godmorgon vanity and sink after a couple years of use? Thanks!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm