Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarauk

Limestone shower floor wet and cracked grout

TaraUK
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help. We just had a new bathroom installed, including a shower in Moleanos beige limestone (think they might call it Gascoigne beige in the US - it's a Portuguese limestone). We have used the shower a few times over the past week and the shower floor now looks permanently wet and the grout has cracked.

The guys who did it are away until 16th August and we will speak to them when they get back but I wanted a 'neutral' opinion.

The shower is tanked, it drains correctly, doesn't leak out or anything and I know the tiles were sealed with Lithofin (May have got name wrong but is an impregnating sealer). One of the floor tiles also has a hairline crack.
You can see from the photo that some areas dry out again and some not.
Is this normal? Is the water sitting under the tiles unable to dry out because the tiles are sealed?

This happened a few weeks back before the glass was installed and our guy said it was because he hadn't get sealed around the drain (husband used by mistake). We let that dry out completely over 2 weeks and they then siliconed and installed the glass but now we gave the same problem again. The installers don't yet know as the main guy was going on holiday 2 days later and I didn't want to ruin his holiday by telling him just before he went. He's a decent guy.

What is the answer/what would you do?

We are not so bothered from an aesthetic point of view - more bothered about water sitting around/potential leaks.

Hope you can help!
Thanks

Comments (8)