Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainlan

Help please - shower curtain over tub leading to wet floor

rainlan
9 years ago

I need advice and ideas desperately, please.

I have a tub/shower combo, with a curved shower curtain rod. It's about 10 yo so far.

My issue is this gets used a lot, and I have to say rather carelessly, so water gets out quite often. Now my floor tiles and surrounding areas are showing clear signs of water damage.

I think maybe I need to do a glass enclosure so water damage doesn't worsen, and also fix it up of course. Are there any other possible courses of action?

Thank you

Comments (14)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

you could attach magnets to the bottom of your curtain so it's more likely to stay inside the tub, but that will only work if your tub is metal.

• emma
    9 years ago

Your floors show damage, but the sub flooring will not until it is destroyed. My son's wife wasn't careful when the boys showered and it rotted her floor. All of the flooring had to be replaced.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 10:09

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Quick fix ...

replace the out-curving rod with a straight one
    hang a LONGER curtain that is weighted to stay in the tub

But it's probably, over 10 years, done some damage to the subflooring.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I just had my guest bath remodeled. I went from a by-pass glass door affixed to the top of my tub to a new tub and shower curtain hanging from a curved rod. The only shower head I have is a handheld on a slide bar.

No water escapes through or around the curtain during a shower. When I'm done, I give the curtain (single, water-repellant) a good shake and leave it inside the tub for 30-60 minutes before I move it to the outside. I probably don't have to leave it that long.

I made sure the curtain rod was in the correct place. Vertically it needed to be high enough so I don't step on it in the shower but be long enough to keep water inside (and not look too short outside the tub).

Horizontally is harder, since the curvature of the rod takes some adjusting. It's nice because the curving ends naturally helps the water from escaping. The curtain comes with suction cups at the ends but I never use them.

I had been resistant to getting a curved rod because I had to drill new tile. Crazy. It is amazing. I marvel at how spacious it feels.

• rainlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think at this point I should think about fixing the floor/tiles before it gets worse, so I will get to that when I have money.

I have a standard fiberglass tub, very builder grade.

In the meanwhile I am thinking of changing to glass enclosure. Have you heard of curved glass enclosure over a fiberglass tub?

The upgrades I am planning are:

1) Curved glass enclosure or standard glass enclosure (to prevent more water from going out. Curtains just doesn't work for me :( I now wish I hadn't cheapened out and gone with curtains instead of glass!)

2) Redo some bits of the flooring/surround

3) Add a handlebar or two for security.

Does this sound good to experienced forumers? I've never done any project yet since we bought this house. thank you

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Rainlan, I LOVE my glass doors! I have sliding glass doors on an acrylic tub/shower combo unit and have out-swing glass door on an acrylic one-piece shower unit. The shower door has small stationary panels on each side.

I know that most people on here absolutely HATE glass doors but I love the ability to quick clean them with a good bathroom cleaner, never having to deal with someone leaving them outside the unit, etc. The key is getting well made doors, paying close attention to the track/base. Mine are so easy to clean.

I have never seen a curved glass enclosure - will have to check that out.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

If your shower curtain was long enough, how was the water getting out on the floor? Do you need to add weights to the bottom if magnets don't work?

Glass doors on a tub really restrict your space. My boys got tall and water splashed over the top of the glass doors, so they had to put a bath mat down
    to catch that spray as well as provide a dry spot to step out of the shower.
    -Babka

• rainlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm afraid I wasn't careful when using the shower. That's why the water went out so often. Honestly I've always preferred the look of glass enclosure, and think practically they work to prevent water from going out better than shower curtains. The only reason I went with curtains was the cost.

The curved enclosure thing is a good point - are there any curved glass that can be put on normal (not rounded) tubs? I'm guessing it's not possible. But still a frameless glass enclosure would look good.

Tuesday - does glass enclosure help a lot in preventing water from going out?

Thank you

But perhaps all I need is different shower curtains (longer ones), weights, and better surrounding mats? That's cheaper, but I still need to fix the floor's water damage.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Your rod should be moveable unless you have it permanently mounted. If moveable just lower the rod so that your curtain is fully contained in the tub. I always use a double shower curtain on that type situation. A heavy vinyl or plastic on the inside and a fabric on the outside, it catches any splash out that might get past the plastic one in the tub. Any time the curtain is allowed to go outside of the tub water will get on the floor and can seep through grout or cracks etc. If there is visible water damage it is likely more severe than you can see.

I have never seen an outward curved glass enclosure.
    To me it sounds like you have the rod placed too high which is keeping your curtain too high and allows it to get out of the tub.
    Keeping a small open area in the curtain at the shower head wall helps to keep the shower curtain from moving around as much because it allows the air movement to flow more naturally. It actually becomes a little bit of a weather reaction inside a shower and keeping that outside air flowing into the shower is really important to maintain a good air situation and not have the shower curtain blowing in and sticking to you.
    For tubs that are not metal using the little clip on suction cups is a good alternative to keep them in the tub. You can find that kind of stuff at like Bed Bath and Beyond.

I also always have a good quality rubber backed shower rug in the bathroom at the tub so any water gets to the rug not the floor.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

We put the glass sliding doors on our kids' bathtub back in the 70's because I "liked the way they look" too, but mostly because the shower curtain would suck in when we took showers. That was before the wonderful invention of the curved shower rod(s). We are still in the same house and the kids are grown with grandchildren. When we remodeled our master bath we had to spend 6 weeks taking shower in the now guest bathroom that has the tub with the glass doors. Awkward climbing in and out, cannot easily bathe small grandkids and my elbows bump the glass when I wash my hair.

We travel a lot and that is how I was introduced to the curved rods. If I have to climb into a tub to take a shower, I'll take the curved rod over a glass doors anyday. The glass doors are expensive and I strongly suggest that you take a shower in a similar sized tub to see what I mean. (do you have a cheap motel with a curved rod nearby? Could save you a lot of money to see if glass is really what you want.

To say nothing of having to clean them,,,

-Babka

edit to say that you can find different length shower curtains too.

This post was edited by Babka on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 16:30

• Bunny
    9 years ago

After years of horrendous yucky shower curtains, I was thrilled that this house had all glass doors.

Fifteen years later, when I remodeled by guest bath, I went back to a shower curtain. The fabric ones are virtually waterproof, washable and don't reek of plastic.

With glass doors over the tub the top is crapped up with the track. Leaning over that to wash a child or a dog, or just to clean the tub, is no fun.

The curved rod will give you more room up top than glass. And mine never sucks in or clings to me when I'm taking a shower. What's up with them sucking inwards anyway?

With a shower over tub arrangement, I'd never choose glass doors over a shower curtain. A dedicated shower is a whole other thing.

• rainlan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just want to say TY. You have given me a lot to think about; I may in fact stick to my curved shower rod but move it down, fix the water damage + buy good quality floor mat + new good quality shower curtain. Heh

• Sepideh Prs
    7 years ago

i dont understand why there is no water drainage on the floors of most old wood houses. even with shower curtain there is always water spilling everywhere. i have rented this place and i have to go under intensive repair. mold everywhere. isnt there other solutions? i hate wooden houses. I am sure such nasty stuffs wont happen in a codo. damn it! what is a good quality shower curtain by the way?!!! never living in a wooden house am i way off ? I am guessing whether no one take showers everyday or there is a magic gestures i am not aware of!

• Nancy in Mich
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

No matter what kind of house you live in, you have to keep water inside tubs and showers. Some countries do tend to have bathrooms where the whole room is waterproof, but if there is no drain in the floor and tile on the walls, this is not so where you live.

Condos in modern buildings may have concrete floors, but that does not make them waterproof. Wall board or plaster walls are not waterproof and will wick water, hold moisture and get moldy.

The only magic gestures are the ones where you pause your shower activities several times to look and make sure that the curtain is still holding tight to the sides of the shower enclosure! Wetting the curtain can help it to stay where you put it.