Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rareindigo

Please Help With Picking Tile & Fixtures

Rareindigo
11 years ago

Help - have my vanity and countertop. But am stuck on tile! Initially thought about white subway tile in tub/shower area and 48" around the rest of the bathroom. Could I use a large scale white tile - 12" x 24" or would that look out of place in a small bathroom (5' x 7').

Would oil rubbed bronze or chrome fixtures be better?

Floor is hardwood - lighter ash. Toilet, tub and sink are white.

I'm driving myself (and hubby)crazy with choices and second guesses!!!Any assistance is greatly appreciated as I am now suffering from analysis paralysis.

Comments (7)

• Rareindigo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the countertop.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Our MB is 5x7' incl the tub. We didn't tile the walls in the room, just the tub surround, over the vanity, and of course, the floor. We used 8x20" tile for the tub surround, and 12x24" tile for the floor. They actually make the room seem larger--more open and airy, not easy for such a small bathroom!

• beeps
    11 years ago

You got that pretty vanity top! Very nice and it will look great on your dresser-soon-to-be-vanity.

I don't think 12x24 will look right in your space. That's a more contemporary look IMO and you are clearly not going that direction. Will be interested in what others think about that.

As for hardware - I'd probably go ORB. I think that would look nice with your vanity. I guess it depends upon what all else you already have picked out and what that is. Light? Faucet? A pewter might be nice too, or antiqued silver. I'd avoid chrome all bright and shiny.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Very pretty vanity/countertop combo--love it! Subway tile is very nice and I personally love the look, however it is a PIA to clean all those grout lines. That's a deal breaker for me. I would recommend a larger format tile like a 10x13 or 9x12. Florida Tile has some really nice ones (Pristine in the Alabaster color & Renaissance in the Grigio or Crema colors--both of these are also VERY reasonably priced). Here's a photo shot of a tub/shower surround with all large format tile--

If doing all larger tiles is not your cup of tea, you could mix it up with larger format on the bottom 1/2 of the tub/shower (where the grout is likely to need the most cleaning) and matching subways on the top 1/2 (where less cleaning will be required) with a decorative listello tile to separate them. Here's a photo shot with large format tiles on the bottom, subways on top with decorative listello in between:

Here are a couple links to the Florida Tile pages with some great pics of the different sizes used together on bathroom walls, tub/shower walls, floor, etc.

http://www.floridatile.com/products/renaissance

http://www.floridatile.com/products/pristine

As far as the fixtures go, ORB is a good choice. Another one I would look at is the Aged Pewter from Delta. It looks like you're going for kind of a shabby chic look and that's what the Aged Pewter finish reminds me of. That finish has just been discontinued so you should be able to get a really good price on it and there are still plenty of fixtures available. The fixtures in the shower pic above are Aged Pewter.

Hope this helps! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I would go with chrome or polished nickel fixtures; to me, they are a better fit with the vintage look, and will be timeless.

I'm planning to do what mydreamhome suggested: large scale tile on the lower half of the shower, then some kind of decorative tile band, then standard white subways up above. I'm still trying to figure out which large scale tile to use, but it will probably be a marble look-alike tile to coordinate with the floor tile.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I'd do chrome. Polished nickel water spots I've read, and people can be very unhappy with that aspect. ORB is heavy looking to me. When I think about chrome I think that it is light feeling. It could be due to the reflective quality, such as a mirror - giving the feeling of expansion in a room.

• Rareindigo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions & photos. For the past three months I've been bouncing all over the place with what I want in our new bathroom and couldn't make a decision. We decided to replace the hardwood floor in the bathroom and yesterday I managed to get hubby to a flooring store where we picked out Mannington Adura tiles (Calypso - Mist). Finally, I have a starting point!

Found some white 8" x 10" tile and an accent tile that will work with the flooring. The tile is glossy and I would prefer matte since it won't show water spots as much. Will try another tile store tomorrow.

Still undecided about fixtures - since the accent tile and floor both have some gray in it, I'm leaning toward chrome or aged pewter. My choice will probably be determined by the finish of the shower rod I find.

Again, thanks for all your help.