Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Red clay tile with white glaze--will cuts show red?

julieste
10 years ago

This is about a kitchen backsplash I am planning to do myself, but I am making a cross post here since I hope some tiling experts might be in this forum and not the kitchen forum.

I've got a couple different brands of off-white crackle tiles I am choosing between. The one from Home Depot is the only one that is made on a red clay base; the others all are from white clay. When the HD sample first came I immediately eliminated it because I thought there might be problems with working with a white glaze on red clay. Now I am rethinking.

I really like the color of this tile a lot. And, this would be my cheapest option.

My main concern is with the areas where there will have to be cuts and whether the red of the clay will show up as an ugly red line. I am using subway tiles in a running bond, so there will be many places where I will need to cut my 3" by 6" tiles in half to get the 3" squares needed to start every other row.

Does anyone have any experience with using a red clay tile with a whitish glaze? Thanks much.

Comments (4)