Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janeway452

New replacement faucets for my old Shelf Back Sink

janeway452
9 years ago

Thanks to readers of this forum I found a source for replacement faucets for my 40-50's American Standard Shelf Back sink. I found a master plumber who came out and very carefully removed one of the faucets so we could measure the bonnet. Apparently American Standard changed the size at some point, so in order to order the correct kit, I needed to find out. I could not even begin to remove the faucet caps, so a plumber was necessary. So when the new faucet kit came, the plumber came out and installed them. The total cost was about $525 faucet and plumber, but well worth it. The sink, the "Cinderella" tub, wall tile and floor tile are all in very good shape. Ripping it all out would have been HUGEly difficult, so not really an option, not to mention a crying shame to loose this vintage part of my little cottage. The faucets aren't original, but a very acceptable replacement. And they even act like real faucets! Now if I could find a vintage lighted recessed medicine chest (or a quality, realistic new) in very good condition.

Comments (18)

• badgergal
    9 years ago

They look great. Are there any architectural salvage companies or stores that sell antique / reproduction lighting in your area? They may have a lighted medicine cabinet.
    Can't wait to see what you find.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I love it.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

That looks great. It's so nice when people don't just yank these great old fixtures out and replace them with boring modern substitutes. Good for you!

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not only are the new modern substitutes boring, they have no soul, writersblock. I've been searching the internet until I'm cross-eyed looking for a vintage lighted recessed mirror medicine chest in good shape. The only fairly reasonable one from Lowe's turned out to be cheaply made, at least to my standards. I'll keep looking, but I'm worried that salvaged items might have real problems with the electrical (maybe could be rewired), more than just minor mirror flaws and chrome being pitted or rusted way more than acceptable. I won't mind too much paying for really realistic high end replica. Just finding it is the problem. My next plan involves hitting the road (road trip!!) looking for architectural salvage and high end kitchen/bath showrooms. Suggestions welcome!

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Saw the medicine cabinet below (sorry for the blurry picture) on Signature Hardware's website. Is that the type of cabinet that you are looking for?
    I have ordered from them without a problem but they do have a 10% restocking fee on returns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Medicine cabinet

• lcm_maine
    9 years ago

You might try Etsy. I was able to source a recessed cabinet made from reclaimed wood that worked for a "faux-retro" bathroom project. There are a number of artisans who list either truly vintage products rebuilt or cleaned-up, or hand-made cabinets that replicate the look. Various searches will turn up a lot of options. The builder I ordered from was very responsive and customized the cabinet color. And the price was very reasonable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Badgergirl, that's the cabinet I ordered from Lowe's online (free delivery for store pickup). It was really close to what I am looking for in a new cabinet, but the quality was not acceptable. In the picture you can see how the bottom left "chrome" light holder gaps out. Yuck. I'd see that every time I looked at it. And it came with two plastic shelves. One of the reason I bought it from Lowe's is that I knew I could return it to the store if I didn't like it. It's just so hard to tell from a picture. On the etsy site I found two possible vintage cabinets, but the flaw in the mirror on one was too obvious (wonder if I could get the mirror replaced). The vintage Sears cabinet was a real possibility but there was a small hole in the front of the right light cover. I'm guessing it would be next to impossible to find a replacement square light cover. I found a picture of my original cabinet and can't remember the condition of the mirror, but I think that was an aquarium light bulb, probably none on the left for some reason and no kind of light cover. I so wish I had saved it, but that was back in '94 and I just didn't think.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

If you are comfortable posting the information, you could say the closest good size city/town to where you are located and people here may be able to suggest nearby salvage places for you to try.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't know why I didn't think to say. I live in the Cincinnati area, so I know there is Wooden Nickel in Cincinnati, Columbus Architectural Salvage, and it looks like there are several in the Indianapolis area. The site where I found my faucets, deabath.com had the perfect medicine chest, but of course it was sold. I just checked and they have another perfect one, except it is too large! Oh my! I'll check that site every day, just in case. It's out there, it's just a matter of time.

• janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I found them at Bathroom Machineries https://deabath.com. Search "Standard Plumbing Parts" and you'll find "Installing new trim on “Standard” brand
    1950’s Vintage Shelfback sinks"
    You'll have to determine if you have a 5/16" or 1/2" bonnet. The kits are $173 and then have your plumber install them very carefully. These are not originals parts, but are reproductions, but you'd never know it.

• aliammen
    8 years ago

I've been refurbishing a 1948 American Standard shelf back sink and found Alan Siegel at LAS replacement parts to be very helpful. The company's website is http://www.lasparts.com

• Hunzi
    8 years ago

Just finished renewing my Shelfback! I found ours at a ReStore for $5. Deabath sent the new valve stems, and it was a simple repair. We had the faucet parts rechromed locally. Photos are at the bottom of this thread in my "reveal". http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2285308/starting-from-dirt-literally-a-basement-bath-diy-adventure-pt2?n=147

janeway452 thanked Hunzi
  • janeway452
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the toilet, too. Your hard work and creativity sure have paid off.

• grlinda49
    5 years ago

I need this faucet set! Where did you get it? Grlinda49@aol.com thanks

janeway452 thanked grlinda49
  • janeway452
    Original Author
    5 years ago

https://deabath.com/Faucet_and_Faucet_parts/Faucet_parts/Obsolete_standard_stems/standard_shelfback_trim/standard_shelfback_trim.html

It's called Bathroom Machineries. I think it's a reproduction, cut it still looks and works great. Hope they still have it.

• Hunzi
    5 years ago

That's where I got them!

janeway452 thanked Hunzi
  • Lydia Devine
    4 years ago

I bought this exact sink with original hardware and legs for my bathroom. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to mount it? It came with two legs (no towel bars) and no mounting bracket. There are no slits in the back, only underneath. I see these beauties installed in bathrooms all over the internet, but no word on how people mount them. Any tips are appreciated! Btw I also asked the nice people over at deabath and am waiting to hear back. But figured maybe you would might know. Thanks!