Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Space around freestanding tub?

Posted by MrsHunter (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 9:22

Just wondering how much space should be around the sides of a freestanding tub? After looking at pictures, it seems like a lot of them are right up to the wall. But then I don't understand how you clean behind it? Is a couple of inches good enough? Or more?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Space around freestanding tub?

A pedestal sink requires a minimum of 4" between the side edges and a wall or obstruction, so the distance may be based on that code requirement. I would want more, I think.

o

Good question, does anyone have an answer? How much space should I leave around a freestanding tub? Also, I see that some baths have beadboard around the freestanding tub. Is this a good idea? I seems cheaper and easier to install than tile. Do you just hope water doesn't spray on the walls?

o

I had a free standing tub next to the wall and a wall mounted faucet. I also had bead board around it - I am not doing that in my new house because it does get splashed. I had no trouble cleaning around the tub........ I just pushed the mop underneath.

o

You don't need the NKBA 21" minimum on All sides, only the side you are entering or exiting the tub from. On the other three sides I think you would want at least 4" between the outside edge of the rim and the wall so you could clean around it and easily retrieve anything that fell between the tub and wall. (Which is the purpose for the measurement for sinks that do not abut the wall directly).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here