Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I place caulk strip around bathtub with curved corner edge

Posted by lpalta (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 9:12

All brands of caulking strips/instructions are for 90 degree corner edges. You just cut and stick. Our shower is a tub surround with curved corners. I can't get the strips to flex firmly into the corners? Help, please...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I place caulk strip around bathtub with curved corner

Use a tube for the corners. I prefer a good silicone from a tube everywhere as opposed to the strip I feel they seal better.

o

Have you ever used those strips before? I have, many many years ago. IMO they aren't a good substitute for the real (silicone) thing. They don't' seal as well and don't look as good OR last as long.

o

Tube caulk is definitely better long term, and also for looks IMHO. If you are unsure how to do it, there are You-Tube videos showing several different ways to get clean sharp lines.

-Babka

o

Oh golly, I forgot to mention the reason I am using the strips instead of the tube caulk. The surround was cut about 1/2 inch high at one end. I can do a thin strip as shown in the You-Tube videos, but murder it when trying to cover up the mistake made in cutting with the tube caulk. I will show picture when I decide which way to go. Oh, don't laugh. The tub is lavender!

o

Are you expecting the strip to be waterproof?
I would fill the gap with clear silicon, multiple stages if necessary, then use the strip as a beauty cover. If you cant bend it around a curve, it must have a bottom piece. Slice it where you want it to bend. Or cut it off if feeling lucky.

o

Tim- good answer! I agree. Use silicone to seal and waterproof. Then use the strip as a "beauty" strip. Can you notch the strip to fit before removing the backing to see how it fits around the bend?

-Babka

o

OMG, thanks for the waterproof/notching advice. I will give it a try and post pictures when done...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here