Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

New Kohler Levity glass shower doors...

blondelle
10 years ago

Has anyone installed these yet? It's a higher end look for about $400 in the clear 1/4" glass. They use a new sliding system without a track to clean. It looks like a $2,000+ door I saw in one of the designer showrooms.

Comments (51)

• petepie
    10 years ago

I have them but haven't taken them out of the box for install yet. I'll post when I do.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I've been wondering too about these. I have a Kohler cast iron pan, and this is one that Kohler states is compatible with their pans.

I want a bypass door to save on room in my bathroom. The bypass will also allow me to reach right into the front and turn things on.

• petepie
    10 years ago

So levity doors are up. I really like the look. I didn't install them so can't say how install went. We did try to make a small adjustment to them so they would glide more smoothly and that took us 1 1/2 hrs to figure out, so I'm thinking they're not a quick install. Very light look, no heavy track on bottom, no track on sides. Ikk post pics when I figure out how

• enduring
    10 years ago

Here is a way to post pictures. See the link below which contains lots of other good info too. But a little ways down the tread, Buehl has a link to information on posting pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: New to Kitchens...

• petepie
    10 years ago

Excellent, ill post tonight. The doors look great, we had to spend some time last night trying to get the rollers adjusted but now have them working smoothly. one point ive noticed already is that the doors will be tough to clean the glass along the track. Since they slide with the track next to them rather than at the top, there is a portion of the glass that is difficult to reach. It is the glass on the inside of each door next to the track.

• petepie
    10 years ago

Excellent, ill post tonight. The doors look great, we had to spend some time last night trying to get the rollers adjusted but now have them working smoothly. one point ive noticed already is that the doors will be tough to clean the glass along the track. Since they slide with the track next to them rather than at the top, there is a portion of the glass that is difficult to reach. It is the glass on the inside of each door next to the track.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Petepie, Maybe a flat spatula with a rag draped over it will get in there to clean.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

My guest bath has sliding doors on the tub. They hang and don't touch the bottom track. The only place tough to clean is the overlap right on the bottom. I use a bamboo skewer and a thin micro fiber cloth.

-Babka

• petepie
    10 years ago

Ok trying some pictures

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

They look really nice. Thanks for posting these.

• flora2
    9 years ago

Hi
    I have been looking at these doors to finish my remodel. What is your experience with them? Thanks for posting

• wtswimclub
    9 years ago

These are beautiful doors, but I would advise against buying them because they don't seem to slide very well. The rollers are adjustable and they keep slipping. I had these doors installed by professional installers. They have been back to my house several times trying to fix the slipping problem. The last time they were at my house,they commented that they have lots of problems with these doors and are going to stop recommending them to customers.

• PaulH2014
    9 years ago

We put the Kohler doors in last fall when renovating our master bath and they have been awesome. The bathroom design was very contemporary, so wanted a sleek 'floating' shower door with minimal trim. Also, since the bathroom is TINY we wanted fully BYPASS doors which the Kohler offered. Had looked at doors from local custom glass shops, but they all had one stationary fixed door. Did have to ensure there was proper support in walls as all the weight of the doors is on the two rail brackets. It is unfortunate that the displays in local big box stores were never properly adjusted, and never worked well, as I think this door is a real bargain. Never had a problem, actually have to be careful to not slide door too quickly as they roll VERY easily.

• mmayerct
    9 years ago

Petepie,
    Thanks for posting the photos. Is that a window i see in your shower? I have the same unfortunate situation. Wondering how you've waterproofed the window. is it a vinyl window?

• enduring
    9 years ago

That's a reflection of the window on the glass door and not a window in the shower.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

We have doors on a rolling track like that. At first, they moved with a touch of the pinky. Then had to be adjusted several times. Now they are okay, but not as good as when new FYI.

If this is a new Kohler product, it can't be Kohler because these were purchased almost 4yrs ago. They were quite high end.

Also, FWIW, we have a window in the shower in DS's room. It is all new construction, tiled in with a bit of a slope to the sill IIRC.

• Jennifer Susana
    9 years ago

I have a question: Has anybody had issues with the height of the horizontal bar the panes glide on? I am 5'8" and don't want to feel like I have to lower my head to walk in the shower. I am contemplating the 74" high doors. Thank you,

• nrottenecker
    9 years ago

The horizontal bar is low. I'm only 5"1' so I don't have to lower my head, but someone of your height will have to. Mine are already in and I don't want to take them down, but if I had known I would have bought something else.

• Jennifer Susana
    9 years ago

Thank you nrottenecker. I appreciate the feedback.

• Zal Black
    8 years ago

petepie, thank you for posting the photo. I have this door and the rollers at the top are fine but so much friction at the bottom I feel the installers might have missed a piece? Also how are your doors at the bottom kept perfectly parallel apart?

• enduring
    8 years ago

Agree with @watchmelol that Kohler offers great customer service and have great specs for me to understand. I think their website is a little wanting though. It seems like some of their products are buried in the site and are not easy to find with searches that you'd think would pull an item up. Oh well.

• abick2
    8 years ago

Has anyone had problems with water leaking out from the bottom with these doors? The installer who did my custom master shower doors is against the Kohler Levity doors, says a client of his had them installed and constantly complained about leaking water.

• mmayerct
    8 years ago

I had these installed in my daughter's bathroom and have had no problems with leaking. They look great too and the price was right.

• abick2
    8 years ago

Any difficulties washing the glass where it overlaps?

• mmayerct
    8 years ago

no- the only issue I see with these doors is that the lower size is not good for a very tall person. Now, having said that, they are not as well made as a custom frameless door but at a fraction of the price, it's a good way to go and the look is terrific. I don't know how easy they are to install because I had someone do it for me. He didn't seem to have any problem but he was a professional.

• abick2
    8 years ago

my installer didn't want to install them because he said he installed them before and the people complained about water splashing from the bottom. He installed another set of doors I had framed American standard, but I am not happy with how they look as well as how to clean the glass overlap. He is willing to install any other door that I choose since I am not quite happy, I don't know what to do.

• mmayerct
    8 years ago

hmmm- I don't know what to say. Where the doors overlap, you just open them on the other side and slide, and you have complete access. There no overlap that you can't get to in order to clean the doors. I hope I'm explaining that correctly.

• abick2
    8 years ago

I know what you're saying, but the door he installed for me doesn't allow to slide past each other, so there is an overlap I can't get to. I am now looking for another door. I am afraid to install the Levity if he's had problems before, maybe I should go with this one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Fluence-59-5-8-in-x-59-5-16-in-Semi-Framed-Sliding-Tub-Shower-Door-in-Bright-Polished-Silver-K-702200-L-SHP/100451191?quantity=1&str_nbr=8475

• mmayerct
    8 years ago

Nice. more traditional.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

To deal with the overlap just be sure any door you buy is double bypass. Sounds like you have a single bypass in there presently.

Also make sure your installer installs the the inside door on the shower head end. That prevents leakage when the spray hits the doors.

It sounds like your installer is not very up to date on things. Why would he put in a single bypass door instead of a double? Your post sounded like he picked them out for you?

• abick2
    8 years ago

both slide, but they don't bypass each other, there is a little handle that prevents them from bypassing each other.

• mmayerct
    8 years ago

Bypass. See photo. I agree with watchmeloI- install the inner door closest to the shower head. Zero leakage. I understand, but don't agonize over the decision. I challenge you to find a better shower door for the money.

• mmayerct
    8 years ago

If you think you had a problem to solve- look at what I had to solve- a window in the shower! There's a solution to everything :)

• abick2
    8 years ago

I am so stressed out over shower doors. Does the towel bar bother you at all inside the shower? how wide is your shower to the inside glass?

• mmayerct
    8 years ago

It's a narrow tub- don't have the exact dimensions. If I had it to do over, I probably would not have the towel bar inside. We love everything else.

• abick2
    8 years ago

Thank you for all the feedback. You can probably ask kohler for a handle instead and since it's only glued and not drilled maybe it can be replaced.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

Abick2, The towel bars are not glued on. They are screwed on through factory pre-drilled holes.

The handles you currently have sound like they may be installed on the wrong side on one of the doors. One should be on the outside and the other on the inside, just like the towel bars in mmayerct's picture. Do you have a picture? The more questions you post the more I think you have an installer who doesn't really know much about how to install these items. He may have reversed one of the doors.

Thank you for the pic mmayerct. I was wandering how the towel bars looked as opposed to the handle option. In the picture they lood like slightly oval tubing? Is that an illusion, are they actually round? I like having the towel bar inside for hanging washcloths but thought the option might take away from the simple lines of the Levity. It looks very nice in the pic.

• mmayerct
    8 years ago

Yes, the handles are rounded tubing. My first choice was no handles for a very clean look, but I had no more space for towel bars. They do come in handy. I just wish they offered the towel bar on just one of the doors. If you have a larger tub, it's not really an issue.

• leslie556
    8 years ago

we just had these doors installed. first, they squeak when you slide them. second, it is impossible to get the glass clean. I have worked on the doors for over 2 hours and you can't get the glass clean where the frame at the top is. so if your installer put the doors up dirty, there is now way to get them clean. love the look, but would not purchase again!

• Jeannine Smith
    2 years ago

These are HORRIBLE doors! Massive water leaking and you can see why with this HUGE gap. I should've listened to the reviews here :-(

• Paul Jones
    2 years ago

Not the doors fault. Looks like a crap install job!

• Jeannine Smith
    2 years ago

Installed exactly according to instructions! Look at all the sorry reviews on Google, and then maybe rethink your comment. Wish I had never bought them.

• Paul Jones
    2 years ago

Well close the door all thecway and they won't leak! Looking at how the drain is there it looks like the entire shower is wacky. Lets see a pic a bit farther back.

• Jeannine Smith
    2 years ago

Oh I hadn’t thought about closing the door 🙄…the door stop is installed on the wall, as instructed (see photo), to keep the glass from slamming into the wall. Drain and shower is fine.

• Karin Wadsworth
    2 years ago

Just installed a Kohler Levity shower door on a full bath remodel (we converted a full bath to a walk-in 3/4 bath). There is a major design flaw with this door, water leaks out from the bottom and sides of both panels and gets all over the floor. We visited the Kohler website and tried calling Kohler, but they don't have anyone answering phone calls for customer service. We went on Amazon.com and ordered generic silicone water seals to add to all sides of both panels in the hopes we can stop the water leakage. Overall, we are extremely disappointed with the design and performance of the shower door and with Kohler for that matter. The door is pretty and install is not terribly complicated (clear install instructions in the box and great install video on YouTube), the door just has some significant design flaws that Kohler needs to address.

• Jeannine Smith
    2 years ago

Hi Karin. You saw above that I had the same problem. Had my contractor re-seal the bottom of the door inside snd out first. Then bought 2 flexible seals to put on each end of the door contacting the walls. Trimmed each seal to fit around the stupid Kohler door stop and most of my leaking has stopped . Hope this can help you!

• Jessica Walker
    2 years ago

Does anyone have trouble with water pooling in the track and not having anywhere to drain? I don't know how to remedy this besides taking a large towel and soaking it all up between uses. I would not think that should be necessary.

• Dion Houng-Lee
    last year

Kohlee’s instructions are messed up. We have the same problem until we switched the door position. It does not leak when the outside door is closest to the shower head for us.