Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with planning..

Posted by livvyandbella (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 8:38

I will be having the tub pulled out, and a walk-in shower put in. Should I have a bench installed, should I put a teak bench? Also, are their attractive safety bars?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with planning..

Kohler has some beautiful safety bars. There are others, Ginger comes to mind. Some are traditional in style with more elaborate turnings, while others are very contemporary.

Are you making a curbless shower, one that can be accessed by a wheelchair?

I think a bench would be very useful if you can get one to fit and still have room to maneuver.

If you have a bench installed, do you mean tiled in? if so make sure you have the depth you need to sit comfortably, front to back. Also I think that the seat needs to slant slightly towards the floor so that water drains off the seat. There are some beautiful teak seats. Some are free standing that can be pulled out. Others are installed on the wall and fold up out of the way. I have linked a Houzz search for Ipe shower seats.

I will be putting in a removable teak or ipe wood bench in my shower so I can take it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz folding shower seats

o

Enduring, thank you for linking me up to the Houzz site. WOW! I love them all. I think I would like the teak, attached to the wall, that you could flip up against wall. Not much room outside the shower, so I don't want to bother taking in and out.
I have just begun to plan. Both getting older, so trying to be practical, think of safety.
I am going back to look at all those bathrooms.
And, I will be looking at Koehler to see what they have for safety bars. Thanks, and will keep you posted.

o

You're welcome. I bet others will chime in with their thoughts on these topics. Important considerations.

I have to buy my grab bars yet for my current remodel project. But for my remodel I did last year, I got polished stainless steel. Looks almost like chrome. There is no texture on these and that might be something to consider. The fine crosshatching on the rail is called nurling.

Here are my Kohler grab bars in my first remodel:
tub wall with grab bar as towel bar photo IMG_3888_zpsf336fd37.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here