Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what floor goes with beadboard?

Posted by tken (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 8:09

We love the look of beadboard for the bathroom walls, but aren't sure what tile to use on the floor. I'm not very fond of the traditional hex or pinwheel (or any other small black and white tile combo), but we want the floor to look right combined with the beadboard. We have a small floor area (about 25 square feet, including under the vanity). Any advice or links to photos would be much appreciated!

For background, it's a small guest/kids bath with a shower/tub combo. We're thinking (but not certain) about white glossy subway tiles on the shower walls and mahogany-colored vanity and cabinet. This is the bathroom that our kids and all our visitors use.

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what floor goes with beadboard?

we did the hex without any color tile accent. If its the black & white you don't like maybe that will work. I personally love the all white hex with beadboard. Here is our guest bathroom.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Thanks very much for the photo. I love your beadboard.

Actually, it's all that grout that bothers me. I look at our floors now (from the 30s) and they're so dirty! I wanted to use very large white matte tiles, but it's a really small room and my husband thinks that would clash with the beadboard, which we both want. So we're trying to find something else that might work.

o

Have you considered hardwood?

o

Here's one from Rate My Space.

Here is a link that might be useful: beadboard and wood floor

o

We did the Octagon and Dot tile...but instead of black which I didn't like, the dot is navy blue. I love the way it turned out.

Photobucket

o
PS RE: what floor goes with beadboard?

PS: These are matte white porcelain tiles with glossy blue dots...from Lowe's.

o

I think a plank porcelain wood look would be stunning. A black slate look would also be pretty.

o
Another idea!

I was just thinking. How about a gingham pattern done with a few shades of vitreous glass tiles. Those types of tiles are inexpensive, and a place like susanjablonmosaics will make the pattern up for you. So fresh and pretty too. You do any type pattern you like. A small scale floral would look pretty too. Just work it out on graph paper, and enter it into her site.

o

Carrara marble or a porcelain lookalike?

o

I have Carrara-esque (actually Goia) 12 X 12 tiles with out beadboard, which we laid in a running bond pattern.

2008; Portland; Bathroom Month 011

2008; Portland; Bathroom Month 004

detail:
Alabaster grout

o

We are doing the Delray from Tile Shop- carrara basketweave- with our beadboard and white subway tiles! It is around $12 a square ft.

o

We're doing something similar to what na praha did, except ours are a white and gray faux marble-ish tile from Home Depot - 12 x 12 ceramic with light gray grout. The tile is in, and the beadboard will go in monday. The shower is glossy white subways with light gray grout. We're using an espresso-colored vanity and mirror, which will also be installed monday. I'll post a picture as soon as it's in! I think if you don't like all those grout lines, you might consider a larger marble or white tile.

o

How about a tumbed marble look. I also like the white tiles with blue dots. Classic look.

o

We're doing beadboard with a light beige marble floor (and inside the shower). I have no pictures because it's not up yet, but I hope it looks good. Will post some photos once it's done :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here