Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corian shower surround

Posted by sandimccarron (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 7:50

Does anyone have a corian ( or similar product) shower surround and pan? We are considering this as it will eliminate grout lines and will forn a better seal around the window in ur shower.It can be routed to look like tile and can have glass inlayed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corian shower surround

I've seen showers where they did the walls in corian, but I can't imagine having a corian floor....it just seems to me it'd be really slippery.

o

Yes, we have a Swanstone surround and pan. It is very easy to keep clean, and I think it looks nice - not like the cheap fiberglass things. The pan has a texture that keeps it from being slippery. We've had it for 18 years and it still looks like new except that the caulk where the side meet the pan could use replacement.

o

I have a cultured marble pan for 20 years and it's been great. It feel solid when you step into the shower.

o

Thanks for all the responses. I have been to someone's home in my area that has the corian surround and pan. They love it and say it is not clippery at all. Has anyone seen it or know anything about routing it to look like tile?

o

"Has anyone seen it or know anything about routing it to look like tile?"

I wouldn't, because it doesn't. It looks considerably more fake than tile. By itself, in a solid sheet, not trying to be anything that it isn't, it looks pretty nice.

Plus, putting in crevices that collect soap scum and dead skin cells only makes cleaning more difficult. You might as well do tile if you want it to look like tile and you don't mind cleaning crevices.

o

I did see a small shower wall done in tile pattern. The tile pattern can be as large as or as small as you like. The routed out area that looks like grout is a little less than 1/4" wide and, like the rest of the surface, is supposed to be mildew resistant, etc.

o

If you want a tile look, go for tile. Fake never looks good.

Corian, as Corian, not masquerading as something else, can look nice. Go for it. I suspect it's one of the longest-lasting things you can do for a shower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here