Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

The most amazing porcelain slate ever!!!

blondelle
10 years ago

I saw this close up and could not believe it wasn't real slate. They have the patterning of the tiles and the texture of the layers down pat! I had to look at the text on top of the board to see if it was real of not. Most fake slate has just the printing, and a general overal all texture, but this stuff really nails it. No sealing, shaling, flaking or problems of the real thing! Comes in three coloways. The dark (shown below) was amazing in person. The photos don't do it justice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelain slate

Comments (12)

• enduring
    10 years ago

That is beautiful. Thanks for sharing this amazing looking tile.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the "Sage" colorway. I was going to use carrara or faux carrara in my bath reno, but this is so warm looking and no slate issues to deal with. There's a PDF file you can view of the catalogue for this tile that shows it in more detail. I have to see how much it costs. A wide range of sizing too.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Wow! Nice to hear that it looks even better in person! I am putting up a porcelain limestone tile. I can hardly wait to see it on the walls and on the floor. Luckily I had ordered several samples of my first choice, and when the five large tiles came, they were all exactly the same! Doesn't look like that would be an issue with this slate tile! i love the look and feel of slate, but the problems of upkeep do scare me. This could be a good option for an entryway where real slate is typically used!

• xedos
    10 years ago

That's nice - who is the U.S. distributor ???

• blondelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure who the distributor is. The info might be on the site I referenced above or you can email them. Please let me know if you find out.

• monicakm_gw
    10 years ago

Thank you! I'm saving this topic! My husband is set on using slate in his bathroom remodel and I'm dead set on him NOT because of the maintenance issues. I wanted travertine in my bathroom but common sense prevailed and I went with a travertine looking porcelain...I'm not getting any younger!
    Monica

• blondelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Monicakm, this tile is perfect for you. Your husband can have his slate and you can have your low maintenance :-). This doesn't almost look like slate, it totally looks like slate!!! The other fake slate tile you can easily tell it's not real. I was a touching it, and looking at it close up and I still couldn't tell if it was real or not! I had to look at the board to find the words ceramic or porcelain before I knew it wasn't the real thing.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Monicakm, this tile is perfect for you. Your husband can have his slate and you can have your low maintenance :-). This doesn't almost look like slate, it totally looks like slate!!! The other fake slate tile you can easily tell it's not real. I was a touching it, and looking at it close up and I still couldn't tell if it was real or not! I had to look at the board to find the words ceramic or porcelain before I knew it wasn't the real thing.

• monicakm_gw
    10 years ago

I didn't find any US distributor info on their site. Where did you find it? I really wish he'd drop this whole slate look anyway. His bathroom is small and no windows. It's going to look like a cave...that's what he wants :o I don't have anything against slate, just against putting it in a small windowless bathroom. His bathroom is the only room in the house that hasn't been remodeled. He likes it the way it is, circa 1981 :o But if slate will get his rear in gear, slate it is!

• MokiDogTenSur
    10 years ago

I've tried to e-mail the company twice so far, but haven't heard back. My other half is also dead-set on having slate in the bathrooms, but I'd much rather go with this kind of tile instead!

If anyone can find a US distributor or has contact with the company, any information would be greatly appreciated!

• blondelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried to find the company on www.italytile.com, but they don't seem to be listed there. Maybe give them a call as they are in NY. I did find several sites selling it on the net. It's around $3.75 a sf. or so. Ideal Tile carries it but they tend to be expensive.

You can just use the slate on the floor of a bath and use a neutral tile around the tub or shower surround that's similar to a light wall color so the space looks bigger. You can use the mosaic as trim there if you like that look. That way the bathroom won't look too dark.

PS: Sorry about the double post. First it tells you that you already have a post on the thread and your message is rejected, then it posts it anyway so there's two.

• anemone2000
    10 years ago

Has anyone here installed this tile yet? I saw a section of floor done in the sage at a local tile shop and it was beautiful! I am seriously leaning toward the dark version for my foyer, hallway, and adjoining bathroom but would love to hear from anyone who has it in any of the colors. Pictures would be an added bonus! Many thanks in advance.