Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
salvaging vintage cinderella tub

Posted by Kiwigem (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 7:34

Hi, everyone.
Not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but I'll give it a go: We are building a new home, and there is an old house on the property that will be demolished soon. In the old house is a white cinderella tub in great shape. I'd like to salvage it for the new house, but our GC feels it wouldn't be worth the labor getting it out. I'm thinking of trying to "free" the tub myself so all they have to do is move it over (going from a first floor to a second floor).
Any insights or tips on how to do this or whether or no it's a good idea?
Ours is exactly like this one:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: salvaging vintage cinderella tub

I think it is worth salvaging, I think your GC just doesn't feel like it.

You have to carefully remove all the tile around the perimeter of the tub because there is a flange under there. There will be some nails or screws holding the edge of the flange to the studs. You will need to remove those without damaging the porcelain on the flange. From the back side of the tub you will need to disconnect the drain and from the front and back you will need to disconnect the overflow.

I would consider paying someone else to move it other than your GC because he may "accidentally" damage it because he doesn't feel like moving it, and of course it can't be replaced.

Or you could try putting a clause in the contract that he will be fired immediately if he ruins the tub.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 11:02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here