Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poddie_gw

Bad Tile job?

poddie
16 years ago

(Sorry, I posted this to the Building a Home forum before realizing this forum existed... copying and pasting...)

Hi, just found this site and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for!

My wife and I are building our "forever" house, and it is nearly complete. We have each built townhomes before, but this new house is a big step up and we don't have a lot of experience with these things.

One of the issues we have had is with the shower. We purchased a $2500 upgrade to receive wall tile with a matching listello that looked really nice in the design center. This is actually quite similar to the way our current shower and bath look.

However, several things bother us about how it has turned out.

(1) The listello they installed is some type of trasparent material, not the material we selected that looks similar in color to the rest of the tile. They have already agreed to fix this and that they were incorrect.

(2) The placement of the soap dish seems quite odd to us... it is directly below the shower head. It was not in this position in the model. We would normally hand some type of shampoo shelf here...

(3) The placement of the tile sections in the corner also seems somewhat odd and not very well thought out. In our current shower they cut the tiles to give the illusion that it "wraps around" the corner... in the new one it seems more haphazzard, having two thin strips of tile in the corner of random widths.

(4) They used an odd milky colored sealant. The current shower uses a clear one that looks MUCH nicer. Obviously, this is the smallest concern...

Our "final" walkthrough is scheduled for this coming Tuesday the 21st. I don't plan on finalizing my acceptance of the house without seeing all the issues completed. So I guess my questions are:

(a) Is this job particularly sloppy or was the last job just really well done?

(b) Is there any way we can reasonably expect them to rip it out and redo? Or is this just something we need to live with (other than the listello, obviously)?

(c) When they remove the current listello, will they end up damaging the rest of the tile?

Here are a couple pictures. You can see the listello in the shot of the bathtub (removed my wife from the picture):

{{gwi:1468717}}

{{gwi:1468718}}

Thanks for any help you can provide! :)

Comments (5)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Concerning the soap dish, if I use one such as yours, instead of a corner shelf, I'll mount it in pretty much the same area as your installer did, simply because it's the one place in the shower where the soap dish will see practically no direct water, and still be handy to reach.

As for the sealer, the liquid may be milky, but I'll bet it dries clear.

As for the cuts, that's the one place I have a problem. Not that the cuts should wrap. The only time that would be an issue is if the tile were laid diagonally. but there should not be a sliver cut, as there is on the showerhead wall. THey should have cut the tile right in back of the bullnose, and made equal cuts, front and back. As for the cut in the back of the tub splash, atleast it's a better cut, but it still could have been split.

• poddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the response Bill!

What is "the bullnose"?

Do you think I should insist they redo it?

Is that as big a deal as I think it is?

We have about a month before our closing still so there is a time buffer...

This builder has done many things very well (cabinets, floors, stairway, etc). But they seem to have really dropped the ball on a number of things. When they poured the sidewalk from the front stoop to the driveway it was very clearly crooked! We made them rip that up and redo. Screwed up some of the wiring specs and installed all the standard towel bars even though everything else in the bathrooms was heavily upgraded (what sense would that have made?).

But this tile thing seems like a big screweup to me (and the listello).

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

The bullnose is the pieces with the rounded glazed edge along the perimter of the tiled areas.

As far as whether you should insist that they redo it, I'll say this. It's not going to hurt anything, mechanically speaking, to leave it as it is. However, it's not the way it SHOULD be, and if it's going to bother you, now is the time to get something done about it. Once the check changes hands, good chance you'll never get em back.

I'll let you take it from there.

• shelacious
    16 years ago

Re: the cut tile in the corners: my contractors did this, and we both considered it an error. They made the error because they didn't realize that the large tile I had were the bullnose tile, so they installed thinking they had to make it work with the wall tile squares, and had to cut them to fit.

My tile was more expensive than the installation, so I didn't want to rip out and replace it--I just ensured that the grout matched the wall tile, and now I don't notice the problem. But if the cost was being borne by the contractors/others (and if I'd had more than one bathroom), I would have ripped it out and had it redone.

• poddie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the help everyone. Just wanted to follow up on this.

After looking at it further and doing more research around the web we determined that given the tile size and requirements for a full tile next to the bullnose this is the only way it would fit together.

I do believe that they should be more careful about which tiles they offer for placement in the shower if they are not going to adjust the shower size to accommodate the tile in an attractive way. I think it's pretty low of them to take our money while we am under the assumption that the tile will fit (why offer it if it doesn't look right?).

But in the end we decided to live with it. When they replace the listello with the correct one, they are also going to see if they can replace the corner sealant with something clear or at least closer to the tile color. I think this will make it much less noticeable...

The rest of the house looks phenominal at this point so we are overall very pleased, even if the master bath isn't what we would hope for.