Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about mold on walls

Posted by jacquelynn (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 4:38

I prefer to use paint with a pearl sheen
rather than semi-gloss on my bathroom walls.
If mold develops because of this, will it grow first
on the outside surface of the walls?
Or can it start growing inside the walls without my
knowing it? (a scary thought!)

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about mold on walls

It can grow anywhere there's moisture and "food" (which includes building materials), so if there's a leak behind a wall, sure it can grow there. Not sure what this has to do with the pearl sheen v. semi-gloss?

o

Paint companies make special paints for use in damp places. They have additives that inhibit mold/mildew. Benjamin Moore makes a bath/spa paint in flat which is beautiful. I've had it for over a year in our MB. It is formulated specifically for use in steamy places. Your best defense against mold is a super-duper exhaust fan on a timer that will keep running after you leave the room.

-Babka

o

If you have mold growing, then you have inadequate ventilation. Mold only grows in the presence of moisture. Having your exterior walls well insulated so hot steam doesn't condense on them, and then a good quality fan to duct the humidity to the exterior will work wonders for cleanliness and health.

o

Thanks everyone for your comments.

If mold grows on the wall's surface, can it penetrate
inside the wall (assuming there's no leak or other problem inside)?

o

Over time, yes. that is why you want to remove it when you see it. Bleach works.

-Babka

o

Thanks, Babka!

My concern is that the pearl sheen paint wouldn't resist moisture
as well as semi-gloss would...and mold might start
growing inside the walls without my seeing
any signs of it.

This post was edited by jacquelynn on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 0:25

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here