Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
66 X 32 X 20 tub with flange

Posted by sfelod (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 3:23

We are remodeling our hall bath & have allowed space for a 66" long X 32" wide tub.
This will be a shower/tub combo in a 3 wall alcove. We prefer about a 20" height. This bathtub will be used mostly for bathing our two toddlers as well as showering for guest. This is the only tub in our house, our master has a huge shower only...so we thought the longer tub would be nice.
My first choice would be a tub we could tile the front, however, I have read so many horrible stories (mostly on Garden Web) about waterproofing issues for drop-ins without an integral flange...so we now feel like we have to go to a tub with an apron front. I guess budget is our biggest constraining issue & are there any tubs we could tile the front but that have the integral flange?

I have seen pictures on Houzz.com of tile front tubs where the tile is flush with the width, where the framing must not protrude an additional few inches. Is this a special kind of tub because our contractor told us to count on a 34" if our tub was 32", BUT we don't want it wider than 32".
This tub has a flush tiled front:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/102799/Raven-Inside-Interior-Design-contemporary-bathroom-vancouver

If we have to go with an apron tub because of the tub/shower combo set-up or the alcove location or our price constraint (about $800), then we want to have a plain flat apron front..no design.
I have seen SO many pictures of tub/shower combos in alcoves on houzz.com. I know you can buy flange attachments, but we were also warned these are not leak proof.

Any help, suggestions, idea will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
elizabeth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 66 X 32 X 20 tub with flange

With your budget constraints, and the 32" width, you are in 60" tub territory. Those are fairly common, and you can pick one up in stock at any box sore for $500 or less. You would have to go to a 36" wide tub and/or increase your budget to get the longer tub. The Kohler Mariposa ($700)is the least expensive 66" tub that I'm aware of with the tile flange, but it's 36" in width, as are most tubs that size. I've spec'd it before in a couple of remodels and people were pleased with it's performance. Would you still have the code minimum clearances in front of your vanity and toilet if you went to 36" tub? If so, then that's a no brainer. If it will impact that too much, then you're going to have to drop back to a 5' tub and possibly use that extra 6" to create some shower niches in the back wall. That could be attractive and useful as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Mariposa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here