Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Counter not deep enough...or ok?

Posted by randekasp (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 2:32

Calling on the eye and taste of gardenwebbers yet again. I think this countertop with its half inch overhang from the drawerfronts may look too stark/modern. This is a simple bathroom, pretty clean lines, but transitional rather than modern. I've looked around enough to know there's no specific standard. The counterman is coming tomorrow so I have to be sure that I can live with it or see if possible to extend another half inch. I may be getting too fussy with all this remodeling insanity, so I'd love your input. I will post another picture showing the knob which extends half-inch further than the countertop. Interesting that the dimensions of overhang are pretty similar to the kitchen. The kitchen doesn't bother me at all, it works there. I just think the counter here maybe could be more...substantial.

This post was edited by randekasp on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 3:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Counter not deep enough...or ok?

I posted on your other question about the knob, but now I see what your point is in showing the side view.

I think the counter might look a little shallow. Your detail of the cabinet drawers does read more traditional. I think with the routed out detail that creates a shadow line, the overhang is begging to be pulled out a bit to reflect that same scale of detail (what ever that means :)

Now I need to go back and look at your hardware, cause I didn't notice if it protruded beyond the counter.

o

I posted all pictures on post called "picture with knob". Pls let me know what you think of the two options!

o

The countertop would look better with a half inch more depth, an overhang at the front. But would the whole top need to be redone, including remounting the sinks? If so, not worth additional cost. What's important is YOUR eye, what YOU think looks better.

o

See my detailed post on your knob question thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture with Knob

o

Thank you both! As I posted on other msg, I had them add another layer of drywall behind counter, so backsplash will not be be affected

o

Looks fine to me.

If you're going to put a mirror on the back wall, I *much* prefer the countertop not to stick out much, so I can lean forward to get a better close-up look in the mirror without the countertop edge sticking into my body uncomfortably.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here