Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesleyp_gw

Thickness of shower base?

lesleyp
10 years ago

Hello wise GWers! I am in the process of roughing in a window over a shower and want to avoid having to put in a tempered glass window. My code book says that tempered glass is only required if the "glazing is less than 60" above the shower standing surface".

Honestly, I have no idea what kind of shower base I will put in (acrylic pan, tile, or solid surface) but I need to finish the framing soon. So, can you guide me on the range of thicknesses for shower bases? I am looking for the typical height between the subfloor and the "standing surface" for these different base options.

I do know that I would prefer a slim/low threshold but I doubt I would do a barrier free entrance. I have looked at the engineering diagrams of a bunch of acrylic shower pans, but none of the drawings show the standing surface height.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide. I am trying to eke out the tallest possible window without violating the code requirement. (And I can't raise the window header because it is already fixed.)

Comments (2)