Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanity - White or Stained? Help!

Posted by BlackChamois (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 0:47

I am almost done with my guest bath renovation and I am debating whether to have my new vanity painted white, or stained. And if stained, what color? (I am thinking a warm/darker brown, but probably not as dark as espresso.) Thoughts?

Here are the details of the guest bath:
White subway tile with border of penny rounds at the top as well as in the niche
Floor tiles are a cream/tanish color
Walls are painted BM Bleeker Beige at 50%
I would like to do a Cararra marble counter (regardless of vanity color)
Vanity will have shaker door style

I have a hard time photographing the bathroom because it is so small. It is very difficult to get an angle that captures it well. This is the best I could get (excuse the mess - it is presently serving as my prep area while my kitchen is being remodeled).

Additional info:
My kitchen cabs will be white shaker, as well as the laundry room cabinets and the linen closet (which is right outside the guest bathroom)

I would love to get some advice/suggestions. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanity - White or Stained? Help!

What about painting the cabinet a beige that is somewhat darker than your walls Or in the general tone of the penny round tiles. Something med in color. I think the room at this point has subtile contrast and doing a med color cabinet would help keep the contrast in that range yet still "pop". Unless you want it to really stand out then I think you will need to bring in other elements into the mix that are dark such as towels and a rug to help balance the cabinet's darkness.

o

Well, I am already driving myself nuts try to pick paint colors. If I have to pick another, I think it just might send me over the edge :)

I was thinking of something along the lines of this ...

o

That's a great inspiration picture. The darker mirror frame, pendant, and picture frame tie in very nicely with the vanity. Your bath has an attractive blend of tile and accent, it sure looks like you could work in the warm dark wood.

o

Definitely the warm dark wood... I love your inspiration picture!

o

The Portland Street of Dreams used a white vanity with dark wood mirrors. I thought it was a good way to bring the dark element into a small bath. It mimics the trend to mix dark wood with white cabinets in the kitchen. The hardware and lighting is also dark.

It's at the top of page 3 in Annz' link.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg08010754409.html?12

o

Thanks for the feedback! I've asked the cabinet guy to do a sample for me of the stain in the inspiration pic. I'll keep you posted :)

MayFlowers - I've considered the white cabs and darker framed mirror. I really that idea too! Thanks for sharing Annz' link :)

I wish I could find a way to photograph the space better, but it's just a little awkward and the lighting make the paint look a little pinkish in the pic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here