Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenjennam

Shower Bench Material Options

QueenJenna
9 years ago

We are on the second gut for our master bath since May.... Long story short, we now have the chance to add a shower bench. Our tile guy suggested granite or marble. I just can't believe the cost! Other than tile, what options are there, I am not fond of the fold down bench....

Thanks!
Jenna

Comments (9)

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

What about a teak bench? I think they are better than the built in ones. Not cold. Usually deeper and not like sitting on a ledge. Cheaper too. I had a built in bench - until it started leaking. Now I have a teak bench and and will do the same in my new shower.

• ladycfp
    9 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009I8I93U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this instead of a built in bench this time and am very glad. The built in I did last time is cold, collects product bottles, and takes up a lot of space. This is great.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Just something to think about - we put in a marble bench in the shower in our previous home and never ever used it - honestly, unless it's a steam shower, what do people use shower benches for? I can understand a ledge for shaving legs, so if I were going to do it again, I'd put in a low, 4" ledge for that purpose.

• chispa
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan, I have 2 showerheads, one of which can be pointed right over the bench. Sometimes it is just nice to sit and enjoy the hot water for a few minutes. It also came in very very handy when DH had knee surgery and then Achilles surgery. I don't think a standalone bench would be stable/strong enough for someone unable to use one leg and needing leverage to get up.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

We have a bench in our basement bathroom (which is currently being built/finished). There is a drain pipe from upstairs that is in the corner of the shower, so we added a bench to hide it. The bench is being tiled the same as the shower and bathroom walls and floor. We also have a handheld on a slide bar mounted at the side of the bench so you can sit under the water.

• loves2read
    9 years ago

Was watching a DIY show couple of weeks ago and the guy was building house on island in Canada--
    he built form for his shower bench out of something like heavy-duty styrofoam so there was no wood under the grout--boxed it in w/piece of same material for flush front and tiled over it...Just made sure there was slant so water ran off...

If you decided to go with fixed bench consider how it will interact w/glass wall if that is what you are planning...

Have seen some on Houzz that were just wall mounted so it was more a ledge effect than bench --just have to ensure it can hold max weight

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

chispa, I had the same setup, plus 3 body sprays. I still never used the bench. Obviously, lots of people love them, so I was just throwing it out there so the OP would think about it.

(BTW, my daughter had ankle surgery -- there was no way I would let her sit on a shower bench -- we got one of those medical supply shower chairs for her).

• QueenJenna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I might be able to get the granite for 500 bucks in super white. It is such a fantastic deal, I don't know if I want to pass it up. On the other hand, it will take at least two weeks to be cut. It would be on the opposite end of my rain shower head and hand held on a slide bar. I think there is about 72" from one end to the other.... That is making me think of going with the suggestion of a teak bench. I found one that I love at Signature Hardware. Has anyone purchased from there? Hoping they have a good reputation....

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Teak Shower Bench