Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very high quality over the shower door towel racks?

Posted by jaxo (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 23:19

I'm getting new frameless glass doors without towel bars for the shower enclosure.
I don't want to have towel racks on the doors or store towels on the door, but I still need to have a handy place to grab towels when I step out of the shower. After use, the towels would be put away in a hamper. I will be using smaller gym/spa type towels that will only be used once each and washed on weekends..

I'm trying to find a high quality, removable over the shower towel rack, but I noticed that some of the ones that claim to be over the shower door towel racks are way too wide even for relatively thick glass. They seem to be really designed for hanging over the bathroom entrance door, not a glass shower door and would be quite loose if hung over a shower door. I saw a few on Amazon.com, but they seem a little cheap and I didn't see any of them that had constantly good reviews.
I don't want a floor standing towel stand because there is not enough space to put anything on the floor that would be within arms reach of the shower.without interfering with swinging the shower door open.

I could just throw a towel over the door near the rear of the shower without using a towel rack at all, but it could easily get wet from overspray.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very high quality over the shower door towel racks?

Why don't you just get a thru-the-glass robe hook? It requires a 1/2" hole in the glass BEFORE it goes to tempering. It looks much less intrusive than an over the top hook.

-Babka

o

Too late. Glass has already been tempered.

o

Even though I have towel hooks straight across from the shower I always take one off the hook and toss it over the side of the shower. I toss it to where about 12" hangs on the inside of the shower, that way when I open the door it's right there, I'm not dripping water reaching for it. I never have a problem with overspray getting the towel wet. Try it, I think you will find it works great....

o

Look at Command Hooks. They are now making brushed nickel or chrome look, etc. in a few different styles. I wouldn't call them top quality, but they are fine looking and will hold a towel easily. You could put one on the wall nearest the entrance so you can reach out and grab your dry towel. Put it above eye level and it won't be noticeable at all. They won't damage the wall or tile/marble. If you have enough room in your shower, you could put one IN the shower out of reach of the spray.

I've had two (to hold wet washcloths to dry before putting in the laundry) in my shower for about 3 years and they seem to do fine in the damp, even direct spray when cleaning the shower.

o

I always just toss mine over the shower door. Our shower is large enough that the half of the towel that is inside the shower does not get wet while I am showering.

o
over the shower door towel racks?

Yes, they make Command Hooks in a couple different profiles specifically meant to be used in wet places, i.e. showers. Cheap in cost, but better looking than the over the top hooks I've seen.

-Babka

o

Maybe I will be able to use the door handles as a place to hang the towel before stepping into the shower or else if I hang it over the door at the far end of the shower, it won't get wet.
I think a D shaped door handle could probably be used as a makeshift towel holder as long as the opening is big enough to feed the towel through..

o

Or maybe one of these high end suction hooks?

Here is a link that might be useful: glass door suction hooks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here