Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you clean glass shower door

Posted by joaniepoanie (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 23:16

Specifically, at the bottom where the glass meets the tile and around the brackets/hardware that hold the glass....those areas get gunked up and have mold. I have tried scrubbing with a toothbrush to no avail...it is such a small,tight area to get to. Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you clean glass shower door

First off, you should squeegee the shower glass after the last shower every day. This really reduces moisture that could cause mold/mildew. I would suggest Hi-Sheen Industrial Strength Glass Cleaner (that is what I use) on all glass and mirrors, no less than once a week. That product was recommended to me by my shower enclosure and mirror installer. It works great and you can find it at Amazon and maybe HD.

o

We were on vacation and at the condo we rented, my DH and I marveled that despite no squeegee in site, no watermarks appeared on the glass shower door after use. I asked the owner what his housekeeper used on the door -- both of us were surprised to find out that she cleans it with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and then squeegees it. So, perhaps a Magic Eraser will do the trick....

o

The glass is actually fine...we do squeegee it after every shower...it's just those darn nooks and crannies that are impossible to get to...someone suggested an exacto knife to scrape it out...kind of afraid of this because of scratching...thanks all!

o

Not only scratching with the exact-o knife but you would be cutting the silicone and or vinyl strips and then the mildew would end up behind them.

o

My shower glass company recommended using Lysol foam bath cleaner for soap scum as needed. (Maybe once a month. ) He said that it is the only soap scum cleaner they can endorse as being safe (non-corrosive) on their glass.

Perhaps you could squirt that in the hard-to-clean spots, let it sit for a few minutes then clean with a Q-tip or soft toothbrush. I don't use it often because it will also make my anti-scum polish wear off sooner.

o

There are a lot of products for removing mold/mildew in showers. Have you tried bleach? I get the cruddy dirt out of the corners of my vinyl windows with bamboo skewers. They won't scratch.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here