Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy2learn

Will I hate a low-flow sink faucet & do I need lead -free?

happy2learn
10 years ago

Hi again. I have a few more bathroom sink faucet questions. (Who knew there were so many things to consider for a sink faucet?)

1.) Would I hate having a low-flow sink faucet, or not even notice the difference?

I realized that many of the faucets I am considering are low-flow (1.5 gpm instead of the traditional 2.2 gpm). Our water supply is free from our own well, and water is plentiful out here in southern Maryland (it seems to have rained almost everyday so far this summer!), so I am not too concerned about water conservation at my bathroom sink, at least. We also don't have very good water pressure, either, so I am afraid that a low-flow faucet will really seem low-flow. I want to be able to get things clean, and not have to take longer (and thus probably use the same amont of water anyway!)
Anyone out there have a low flow faucet? Can you tell the difference?

2.) Should I really avoid a faucet that isn't certified as "low-lead" or "lead free"?

Are the older standards that much worse? I also wonder if that just means lower quality plastic parts, or inferior metal is being used to qualify for that "lead free" designation (though from what I learned trace amounts of lead can still be used)? Anyone care to enlighten us about this subject? I have googled and learned a bit about the new Calif. , VT (and now MD, too, I believe) regulations, but not sure how they compare with the old ones, or if it really is an issue. Thanks so much.

Comments (4)