Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rareindigo

Cast Iron or Vitreous China Sink? Which Would You Choose?

Rareindigo
11 years ago

Narrowed my sink decision down to three - all are Kohler. The Bryant is Vitreous china. The Ellington and Farmington are both cast iron. Which would you recommend - the china or cast iron? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I love cast iron sinks - especially for a kitchen. They just seem to hold a shine and get less grungy. Good ones (i.e. Kohler) are fairly indestructable. But in a bathroom that's not getting a ton of wear and tear, I think china is also fine.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

In a bathroom I think either is fine. It's not like you'll be dropping heavy objects into it all the time, the way you would in a kitchen. I'd go for the one you like best.

• jendien
    11 years ago

Pick the one you like the best aesthetically - a vitreous china sink and a cast iron sink will both hold up equally well over time.

• divotdiva2
    11 years ago

I had one in the kitchen (Kohler) which held up well but I had to clean with Barkeeper's Friend or pumice occasionally. We rented out our house for about 2 years and when we moved back, the tenant had chipped or cracked something in the bathroom sink, causing the cast iron sink to rust and the porcelain to flake off. So just treat it with respect. It worked for about 16 years before the chip. Our tubs are both Kohler cast iron and still holding up (20 years) but we plan to renovate MB.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

> causing the cast iron sink to rust and the porcelain to flake off.

This does happen eventually. The current sinks in my bathrooms are from 1979 and they're just starting to develop rust spots (we have horrible over treated well water).

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I have cast iron sink in main bath from 1983 and it is rusting at the connection with the drain hardware - we have softest water possible. It's in fine shape otherwise, but to replace it requires a full bath update...tile counter that will be ruined taking out the sink...matching tile bath surround that will have to be replaced to match the updated vanity area, etc. I wouldn't buy cast iron again.

• Judith Oleary
    6 years ago

My vitreous bath sink hair line cracked all over and I found out it was only guaranteed one year. One person home no rough ware. Its clay.

• wishiwereintheup
    6 years ago

Either is fine unless you have a klutz in the family who will drop heavy items in the sink. China will definitely crack or a heavy item can poke a hole in it. I recall reading a review on the Kohler website some time back where the reviewer gave a sink 1 star and attached a picture with the sink having a hole in it. Not the sink's fault - it is china after all. For my bathroom, I went with Kohler's undermount Ladena sink which is china. I like it a lot.

• Karen T.
    6 years ago

I have a Kohler Tahoe ice grey sink with hoodie ring from when the house was originally built in 1959. Over the past 2-3 years, it has just started to rust at the drain. This is a hall bath and got/gets plenty of use. I believe it is cast iron. The finish is still lovely. So easy to clean. The sink matches the toilet and tub. The sink sits inside a laminate countertop. I will be replacing it with a Kohler ice grey drop in sink, but not likely the Tahoe as that is quite a large sink.