Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cast Iron or Vitreous China Sink? Which Would You Choose?

Posted by Rareindigo (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 23:05

Narrowed my sink decision down to three - all are Kohler. The Bryant is Vitreous china. The Ellington and Farmington are both cast iron. Which would you recommend - the china or cast iron? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cast Iron or Vitreous China Sink? Which Would You Choose?

I love cast iron sinks - especially for a kitchen. They just seem to hold a shine and get less grungy. Good ones (i.e. Kohler) are fairly indestructable. But in a bathroom that's not getting a ton of wear and tear, I think china is also fine.

o

i have 2 cast iron sinks in the bathroom which i really like- very easy to clean, etc... don't have any vitreous china sinks, so can't comment...

o

In a bathroom I think either is fine. It's not like you'll be dropping heavy objects into it all the time, the way you would in a kitchen. I'd go for the one you like best.

o

Pick the one you like the best aesthetically - a vitreous china sink and a cast iron sink will both hold up equally well over time.

o

I had one in the kitchen (Kohler) which held up well but I had to clean with Barkeeper's Friend or pumice occasionally. We rented out our house for about 2 years and when we moved back, the tenant had chipped or cracked something in the bathroom sink, causing the cast iron sink to rust and the porcelain to flake off. So just treat it with respect. It worked for about 16 years before the chip. Our tubs are both Kohler cast iron and still holding up (20 years) but we plan to renovate MB.

o

> causing the cast iron sink to rust and the porcelain to flake off.

This does happen eventually. The current sinks in my bathrooms are from 1979 and they're just starting to develop rust spots (we have horrible over treated well water).

o

I have cast iron sink in main bath from 1983 and it is rusting at the connection with the drain hardware - we have softest water possible. It's in fine shape otherwise, but to replace it requires a full bath update...tile counter that will be ruined taking out the sink...matching tile bath surround that will have to be replaced to match the updated vanity area, etc. I wouldn't buy cast iron again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here