Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmrbound

master bathroom fixtures

Kathy Harrington
9 years ago

Building a new home and so confused about fixtures. We have a large shower ( 8x4) and was thinking of the hansgrohe raindance E 420 and a raindance select 150 handheld and then the Purvida Rainbrain, totally unnecessary but so cool. Problems, my husband prefers a harder shower than the rainshower and so I would also have another shower head on his side.

It feels a little overkill. So, thoughts on this setup? Anyone have any personal experience with the rainbrain? Anyone have any showerheads, systems that they love?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• enduring
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi there, interesting that you should ask :) I just got my shower up and running. I have the Hansgrohe E 420, with the Quattro valve (not the Quattro Green) so that 1 or 2 of any of the shower head features can come on at the same time. Then I have a 3rd option, to have the water go to the Hansgrohe E150 hand shower. So any 2 of these 3 outlets can come on at the same time, or just 1 outlet.

Where are you? I bought my stuff from Ferguson's in Des Moines Metro area. I had a friend who works there set this up for me after seeing it last year on GW on a thread linked below started by Raehelen. The poster with this shower set up is Noopd. His post is about 1/2 down the thread, you can't miss it : )

Anyway, my friend was at the plant in Atlanta last year, after I ordered my setup, and she returned very impressed. She told me I could take out the flow restictors too. So last month when we were installing the fixture we did that. I don't know if there is much difference compared with the setup before we removed the restricters.

I have a hand shower Hansgrohe E150, with 3 jets. It will be wall mounted on a bar or stationary mount, haven't decided.

My shower is 3x5 and I really like the Hansgrohe Raindance E420 head. The rain shower feature is wonderful, and I would describe it as "caressing". The waterfall feature is somewhat forceful, like a garden hose 3/4 on and without a head at the end. Enough to rinse my hair in short order. It kind of gives a gentle tender message to the shoulder area I've noticed.

If you live in California the Quattro isn't available for you I don't believe. California has to go with the Quattro Green. I don't know if this system would be as nice with the California restrictions. With the Quattro Green only one valve is open at a time and can't combine valves like the regular Quattro does. When the regular Quattro is running 2 valves, I have noticed a slight pressure drop. I have an "on demand" water heater that is supposed to put out 9 gal/min. So with the Quattro, each valve puts out 2.5 gal/min I believe. So max, 5gal/min, with both valves open. The instructions say that "on demand" water heaters aren't recommended (saw that disclaimer WAY later in my remodel). So Mr. Plumber and I took a chance, with a back up plan to install a small water heater tank as a feeder to the shower from the "on demand" heater. Didn't need to go down that road, thank goodness.

Speaking of plumbing. TALK TO TECH SUPPORT at Hansgrohe before installing, to be sure you've got the plumbing correct!!! the iBox instructions really don't layout a diagram for the E420 specifically. They illustrate just about everything else though, lol. The correct diagram is in the E420 instructions. I complained to Hansgrohe tech after our mistake. Mr. Plumber and I went with the wrong layout, and months later, when ready to install the shower head, it was WRONG. He footed the bill for the cabinet guy to pull my cabinet where I had planned access to the plumbing, fix, then cabinet guy to reinstall the cabinet. I was not real happy, but glad he paid, and that I had planned the access. He is a great person, but doesn't like to read, and these new systems are, well new, and one needs to read how to install them ;)

The plumbing for the E420 comes into the iBox on the left side and the right side. The top of the ibox is capped and the bottom is capped. But don't take my word for it, LOL! Hansgrohe has so many shower heads with so many configurations that it's a little crazy. But I'm not a plumber.

Almost finished shower picture. The hand shower is on the floor of the shower:

Here is a link that might be useful: Raehelen's thread with her ? about Rain shower

• chispa
    9 years ago

Yes, hope you aren´t in CA as the codes are very strict ... well you can always tear down and redo things after the inspector comes through! Ten plus years ago the rage was showers with several heads and body sprays, now things are much simpler in CA. We are doing a mostly cosmetic remodel and did not do permits so we could keep our old set up with 2 heads that can be run independently or together.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm in California and are there ever rules. I didn't get a permit for my bathroom remodel, as it's basically replacing in kind. I'm hoarding 40-watt incandescent Hollywood lights, because one day they'll be gone.

• emma
    9 years ago

linelle, I don't use 40 watts anywhere in my home except in my reading lights built into my head board of my bed. I use 60 or higher depending on the recommendations on the lights. I have saved a lot of 60 watt bulb. Where do you use 40 watts.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Emma, in my vanity light. 40 watts x 5 produce fantastic light in my 5 x 10 bathroom (unfinished in this photo). I wanted downward light and then realized you could see the ends of the bulbs, which often have an unsightly stamp that's very difficult to remove. I had some Hollywood bulbs from my old fixture and discovered they were perfect and are also unstamped. This fixture takes up to 100 w bulbs, but I'm glad it works well with a lot less.

• Kathy Harrington
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the very informative response, enduring! I posted and then didn't have time to respond. However, much food for thought. We are building in Colorado, which has strict code, but I don't think as strict as California. My dh and I are heading out this afternoon to revisit the fixtures and make a final decision. Our shower is a little larger, 4 x 7 and we can support another head for my husband who still isn't sold on the raindance. Did you look at the rainbrain control?

• enduring
    9 years ago

Hi, no I did not look into the rain brain control. I had to do a search to see what is was. I am inclined to keep things simple. I like having the simple mechanical workings of my set up.

Good luck with your design :)