Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat_mom

all surface cleaner/disinfectant???

cat_mom
13 years ago

All these years we've been using Lysol Basin, Tub, and Tile on most of the old bathroom(s) surfaces; sink, tub, tile. We used Marbalex from SCI (mixed with water in a bucket) on the travertine floor tiles downstairs, so used that on the 1 X 1 old ceramic (porcelain?) tile bathroom floors as well.

We now have one newly reno'd bathroom and another on the way. I need a good product that is safe to use on both natural (sealed) stone and porcelain (and grout of course), and perhaps the tub (cast iron), that will remove weekly soap scum build-up, and will disinfect (sanitize???). If the same product can be used for sponge mopping the floors, terrific, if not, I don't mind using something else on the floors if I have to (two are trav, one is porcelain tile). I just want to find something that I can use on ALL the tub and sink area surfaces that not only cleans, but disinfects (I'm assuming I'd want a disinfecting cleaner for bathroom surfaces--have always used the Lysol, so was covered on that score). Wouldn't mind using a stone-safe product for most of the cleaning for another reason--the travertine floor in the guest bathroom has a number of etched spots from drips of Lysol (we assume) and the tb cleaner. Would like to avoid that in the hall bathroom and prevent more etch spots from appearing in the guest bathroom, too.

So far, I've been using the Lysol spray on the new MB tub and the cast iron shower pan (guest bathroom), bathroom sinks, and sometimes on the ceramic/porcelain wall tiles (field tile). I've also been using either EZCLEAN or HDCLEAN (from STT) on the stone border tiles, and on marble niche walls and shelf, and sometimes on the porcelain wall tiles (tub/shower walls) and have also been using one of the two on the floors (ran out of Marbalex).

HDCLEAN is NOT pH neutral (it is alkaline), so is not recommended for the tub or shower pan. EZCLEAN is pH neutral, but it has a sealer reinforcer in it--not a bad idea for the marble and trav, but not necessarily something I want in a tub cleaner (and don't really need in a Porcelain floor tile cleaner).

I spoke with cust svce @ SCI today, and the woman there suggested using Counterrific on the tub, sink, walls, and floors. Not sure how good it would be on soap scum, but it is a disinfectant.

If you have any good suggestions I'm all ears!

Comments (10)

• just_julie
    13 years ago

I would like to preface my post by saying that I personally know 8 women that use the following recipe on a variety of surfaces with great results. With that said, if you decide to try it, please test first. Also, I have no idea how much the formula 'disinfects'. It makes everything look, feel, and smell clean without being harsh so it works for us!

1 tbsp Borax powder
    3 tbsp white vinegar
    2 cups warm/hot water
    1 tbsp dish soap
    1 drop (or so) essential oil for fragrance

Dilute the borax in hot water, add other ingredients and mix well, transfer mixture to spray bottle.

I literally spray this stuff alll over my bathrooms and kitchen, from ceiling to floor (mirrors included) wiping everything off with paper towels. Try different scents, lemongrass is a favorite.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks just_julie, but I'm not so sure about the white vinegar on the marble (or travertine for that matter). From everything I've read and heard, acids are a no-no on White Thassos.

I was wondering about Hope's Perect Bathroom (I've seen it at BB&B, but never looked at the label too closely). I use Hope's Perfect Kitchen (love it on my granite counters in the kitchen and for spot cleaning the top of the Wolf range) and Hope's Perfect Glass. Anyone use the bathroom version?

• just_julie
    13 years ago

the vinegar is pretty diluted. Enough for marble? no idea.
    I have used it on ceramic, porcelain, wood, acrylic, natural pebbles...

all of those surfaces has survived this far.

• marie_louise
    13 years ago

I am a big fan of Caldea products. Not only does the house smell good after you are done, they WORK! I mix the solution into spray bottles for surface cleaning, and I also mop my tile and Marmoleum floors w/ it. It is safe to use on sealed wood surfaces (like a kitchen cabinet, windowsills, etc.) A bottle of that solution has lasted well over a year-it is very concentrated. FYI, their stainless steel cleaner and scrubbing powder are also good.

I've been using Scrubbing Bubbles for the toilet and tiles because that's what my [former] housekeeper liked best.

Diluted vinegar makes sense-that's what my tile guy used to clean my 15 year old shower before re-sealing. (I suspect Julie's cleaner is probably similar to Caldrea's.)

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll look for the Caldea (Caldrea?) products. Which one in particualr are you talking about? I'm also going to look into that Hope's cleaner (find out if it's safe for White Thassos).

I don't know how much dilution is considered safe for marble or travertine. It's possible that am't is totally safe.

I think I'm leaning towards a ready-made cleaning product for now. I always seem to run out stuff at the worst times; when I don't have the time to replace it (even mixing up a concentrated product with water, or just pouring something from an economy-sized refill container into a spray bottle). I do thank you for the recipe though, and will save it in my files.

• marie_louise
    13 years ago

I was referring to their All-Purpose Cleaner. (I mix it into 1 qt spray bottles.

BTW, Caldrea, Mrs. Meyers and Williams-Sonoma products are all made by the same company. The scents of the higher-priced ones are a little more complex; otherwise, I believe they are the same cleaning formula. (That W-S dishwasher soap really cleans.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Caldrea-Mrs. Myers connection

• melindy
    13 years ago

Interesting recipe, Just Julie. I looked up the approximate pH values: Borax is about 9 and Vinegar is about 3, so you probably have a fairly neutral cleaner.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm still leary about the vinegar. If I decided to give homemade cleaner a try, could I substitute isopropyl alcohol? or, does anybody have a recipe utilizing alcohol and water (for disinfecting) and then which add'l ingredient(s) for removing soap scum/dirt?

• just_julie
    13 years ago

For what it's worth...

I recently talked to the woman that gave me this recipe and she said that she got it from the Dr. Oz show and that they said it was safe for ALL surfaces; they didn't add any "test first" or "not safe for ____".

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

I think I'll try that homemade cleaner, so thanks for posting it. I'm so tired of harsh chemicals, especially the fumes which causes post nasal drip for me.

As for the essential oil in the cleaner--I think I'll try Tea Tree Oil. I remember reading that it has antiseptic properties.