Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beadboard

Posted by musicteacher (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 22:24

I agreed with my contractor to put beadboard in the bathroom - including as a bathtub surround. We only occasionally use the tub and I figured if it is caulked and painted well that a few splashes won't be a problem. We even talked of using the plastic "beadboard" at least in the wet areas. I came home today to see much of it on the walls and he used the Masonite type. I am sure that when he trims and paints it will look much better, but isn't this just asking for trouble in the bathroom? The back looks almost like cardboard and I just picture it warping and swelling all over the place. Am I all wet (no pun intended) or should I say something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beadboard

Yep, masonite or hardboard panels are not made for wet areas especially showers from what I can remember (have not sold that type product in a few years). There used to be some on the market that were sold as being able to be used in a shower area but from what I recall they were not worth a dam.

o
RE: beadboard

I looked it up at HD and evidently it is called pressboard not Masonite. It is not in the shower, but IS above the separate whirlpool bathtub, and on the wall backing up to the shower, behind the toilet, etc. I feel like it is adding a really cheap look to what I was hoping would be a quality looking bathroom - and making it not at all durable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here