Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

I Decided on a Travertine (Wannabe) Porcelain

monicakm_gw
16 years ago

I looked at the Mohawk Borghesi and Portabello Bahia. Of those two I liked the Portabello the best but it only comes in a 12". My designer friend suggested Marazzi's Eclypse (Moonlight color) weeks ago but I had to see for myself what else was out there. She was right. It really is an excellent "wannabe" (g)

I asked another designer what she would choose if a client wanted the best looking travertine porcelain. She said the same thing. The small sample on the Marazzi sample board does nothing for this tile. Seeing it in the 20x20" size made all the difference. If you're looking for a porcelain that looks like travertine, give this one a look-see :)

Comments (6)

• skogkatt
    16 years ago

Monicakm, we also are interested in a travertine look alike, however when I looked at Marazzi tile site I could not find a Ecylpse. Am I looking at the wrong site? thanks,

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I used Marazzi Montagna Cortina 16" porcelain tile for my kitchen floor and have been pleased with it. We finished remodeling our kitchen 8 months ago and the floor still looks like new. I wanted real travertine but not the upkeep. This tile fools people all the time. You can see a picture of it here.
    Clare

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

skogkatt, true, you won't find it on the Marazzi website. I finally called Marazzi to see if perhaps the tile was old and discontinued. No, it's not. Marazzi is a division of a tile company called Ragno...(not pronounced like it looks). This tile actually falls under the Ragno name. I don't know why the tile store calls it a Marazzi tile (with a Marazzi sticker on it). If you look for it, I'm guessing the stores will refer to it as Marazzi. It's The Eclipse series and I chose the Moonlight color (lightest color). I wasn't impressed with the sample size but when the decorator pulled out a full size...WOW!! When I showed my husband what I'd chosen, he said "well it looks just like what's in the entry". BINGO! Honed travertine is in the entry :)
    PLEASE don't judge it by this picture. I would never have considered it by looking at the on line picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marazzi Eclipse Moonlight Porcelain

• skogkatt
    16 years ago

Monicakm, thank you, we'll take a look at it. We've been up to Seattle to most of the major distributors show rooms, but have not seen that particular line. But will check it out. The current plan is to use sheets of Botticino SemiClassico for shower walls and backsplash around the tub. So far we've narrowed the search for floor tiles to two that blend nicely with the botticino. They are Pental's Travertini magnolia and Emser's Cardiff Ivory. We had a couple of others we liked but when we got whole tiles there was to much beige. So the march goes on. Thanks again for the info.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I LOVE Emser tile :) There is a large Emser showroom in Dallas. When we were there we were looking for travertine (not the wannabe). We fell in L O V E with an "Ancient and Tumbled" travertine...soft rounded edges, like it's been worn over time. We wanted to do our 15x15 dining room and the master bath with it BUT at over $8 sq ft at our cost (DH works for a flooring store) it's WAY out of our tax bracket (lol) I think it sells for close to $12 sq ft. Good luck with finding the your perfect tile :)
    Monica

• cynderelli
    15 years ago

i found porcelain that looks like travertine, the other way around for .79 a foot 20x20 tiles today in houston at floor and decor on 45 N. unreal price on it!

Here is a link that might be useful: replica breitling watches