Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjh53

Need help with shower tile design!!!

sjh53
14 years ago

Never would have believed remodeling a small guest bath could cause so much obsessing over the tiniest of decisions!!! So back to the forum with another post; I know I'll get great advice.

My contractor is coming Monday to begin work, so I need to finalize the shower tile design. I am using 16" square porcelain tiles on the diagonal for the 5'x5' floor. The tiles come in 8"x8", 8x16 and 16x16. The shower is approximately 3 by 3.5 feet, and will be tiled to the ceiling.

The tiles are porcelain; Imola Ceramica Excalibur in white, which to me, resemble white/gray marble.

Should I mix two sizes of tiles, or even all three? Since the shower is small, should I use only the 8x8 tiles? My contractor has suggested using the 8x16 in a brick pattern for the bottom 2/3 of the walls, and then using a border at eye level (I'll go shopping for that tomorrow) and then using 8X8 on the diagonal above the border.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for design. So many of you are obviously quite gifted in bath design!

Here is a link that might be useful: Imola Ceramica Excalibur

Comments (5)

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Very pretty tile. I went to look ;-). There's so much going on in the tile as far and veining and texture. I wouldn't use all those sizes and diagonals and then a border in such a small space. You will have grout lines competing with the veining. Also, with your shower being only 36" on one side you will only have 2 tiles across of the 8 x 16's for your brick pattern and a 4" piece. I would use the 16" on the floor, and the 8" laid in a standard grid pattern, not brick, and then use your border. Let the tile be the star, not the pattern. Enough pattern in the tile.

I think a good quality 8mm glass tile in a 1 x 2 or 1 x 3 mini brick in a soft grey to make your border would be stunning and elegant used in several rows. Use your brick pattern there instead. If it also comes in 1 X 1 or 2 x 2 squares you might want to add a few to your floor tiles and have the contractor notch the edges of some tiles to add the little squares. You can even use a row of mini brick as a border on your floor as shown. If you use an 8mm glass tile it will be about the same height.

Here's a photo that's similar to what you want to do. I don't think it works.

http://www.vallefuoco.com/photogallery/photo19315/IMGP0393.JPG

If you did all that on the floor though I wouldn't use the mini brick border in the shower especially if you will carry it around the wall outside of the shower. Might be too much. Maybe one row of glass tile under a chair rail if you use one, and then a piece of thin pencil molding under that if those pieces are available for your tile

Here is a link that might be useful:

• User
    14 years ago

We used slate, but still you could do something like we did and I think it would look really pretty. When researching I kept seeing the same 2-3 patterns over and over, and wanted something different. We did what Bill Vincent called a water wall feature. You could do the same thing by cutting the 8x8 tiles into 4x4's skipping the mosaic border and adding a few random deco pieces that I saw are offered in the same tile instead. I'd even mix a few of the colors that the tile comes in for some added pop. The do the bricking on the rest of the walls. Hope that makes sense, here's a picture for a visual. It's still not done so the fixtures aren't installed yet but at least it will give you a visual.

• sjh53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Blondelle, I agree that the 8x16 could easily overwhelm the small space, and that 8x8 are a better choice. Love your idea to use the glass tile border, and putting the small squares in the floor. Never would have thought of using glass tile; I think it would look amazing. Thanks for some excellent design tips!!!

• sjh53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lukkirish, what a gorgeous shower! What are the dimensions? It seems bigger than ours. I did consider doing something with the deco pieces, just wasn't sure what. The waterfall feature is lovely!

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks so much sjharris53, our shower is a bit bigger, but that should not prevent you from doing something similar if that's what interests you. I wanted our feature this big so we can fit a hand shower & slide bar as well as a regular showerhead and diverter into it. I also included a picture of our niche so you could see another option using mosaic. It doesn't HAVE to be the same tile you're using else where, you can change it up a bit. For example, those little black squares in our niche are black noir travertine from a sample I was given months ago. They help to tie in the bench which isn't in the pic but is also black noir travertine. The shelf is gobi slate and the railings that make the frames are California Gold Slate. I would take a tile sample to a larger local tile store to see what they have that would be a good match. We got our inspiration from one of the vinettes at our local Tile Shop. As you can see in the pictures of our inspiration, that shower is probably about the same size as yours. They've used Chairo Travertine which looks very similar to your tile in the picture & Copper Slate.

Close up of water wall feature:
    {{gwi:1467189}}

Full view of shower:
    {{gwi:1467190}}