Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosleaffair

Turning 1 full bath into 2 small baths-please help!

Tom Damratoski
15 years ago

This is my first post, but I'm a long time reader. Wanted to thank everyone for all their good info, in particular pros like Bill and Mongo who take the time to help us make good choices.

Now to my first call for help! We live in turn of century 1.5 bath, 3 bdrm house. Desparately need to remodel upstairs bath. We have 2 choices-

1. Gut and remodel "as is" with minor changes to a ~9 X 6 full bath-bath has wasteful design, with mini hallway.

2. Spend about $15-20 K additional to #1, move walls , and create 2 ~ 5.5 X 6.5 ft baths. 1 bath would be simple shower/tub combo to hall, other is 42" neo angle shower stall (Master), connected to largest bedroom. Stealing any more space is not possible.

We're OK now with single bath for DW, and 2 girls, but as they move beyond toddler years, I think we'll need 2 baths.

We don't mind small baths....but is this a bad idea from investment perspective? Seems to me it is worth additional $$ to have 2.5 rather than 1.5 baths for resale. All 3 contractors like idea of 2 rooms, as does my real estate agent, but architecht thought it might be squeezing too much into our floor plan, especially with "home spa's" being more the rage.

Question 1- should I make the plunge to the separate bathrooms, or stick with 1 full bath, and keep my money in my bank account?

Question 2- 42" neo angle seems to create optimal layout....but it seems only way to get clean looking doors is a $3K custom-measured glass doors, with top frame...is there anyway to do a similar-sized shower doorless? Or, is there a non-custom solution that performs well, but doesn't look like Star Trek. I'm already decided on pan floor (sorry Bill, I like clean/seamless shower floors)

Thank you in advance for your help...

Comments (17)

• qs777
    15 years ago

I agree with rmiriam - go for the 2 baths and use high-end materials. Our first house only had 1 1/2 baths when we bought it, but I was so thankful the first time both of us got food poisoning, if you get my drift ;)

We eventually added a shower to that 1/2 bath. It was only a 36" right next to the toilet and we used a stationary piece of glass between the toilet and shower. The showerhead wall (opposite the glass) had a recessed edge which allowed us to hide a shower curtain which we never needed - probably because we raised the showerhead much higher than standard height to eliminate splashing. Not sure if that makes sense, but hope it helps!

• wascolette
    15 years ago

2 baths, definitely!

• cindy_socal
    15 years ago

Absolutely spend the extra for the 2 baths; you will never regret it. We've raised 3 girls....and have two living here now. We've had to share one bath while the other was being remodeled, and we are now one day away from have two full baths again!

Toddler girls don't take up much space; teenaged ones do. I also highly recommend giving the girls a vanity space in their rooms when they get older.

• soshh
    15 years ago

Mom of three girls here, definitely do the two baths. Not sure where you are in the country, be here in NJ, metro NY area, 3br 1.5 bath homes are quite expensive and anyway you can stay in that home longer, or make it stand above the competition (master bath) you will see an eventual profit from.

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

Sure, a spa bath would be nice, but you're not going to get that in a 9x6, so two baths would be better. Make 'em look nice and use the space well and no one will notice the size!

If you post your proposed floor plan, perhaps we can give you some feedback and more ideas.

• Tom Damratoski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice....we're verry happy with the results.....the kid' bath first...the kid's bath--not much space, but it works fine for the kids, and we think it looks cool...kids wanted the ocean theme.....we can always paint the walls neutral later. I'm mixed on the blu, but wife and girls like it, which is what ends up mattering :

view of the tub/tile surround

Pictures of the master bath to come....that is on the other side of the big blue/greem wall by the toilet.

• Tom Damratoski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And now the master bath pics...we splurged more here, and did cararra marble on floors, walls, and shower. Also did the Moen spa 3/4" shower set, w/ custom glass.....we like the kid's bath, but we love this one!....Note we're still not done w/ painting, etc.

slightly different angle...

We were worried that by turning 1 bath into 2 (had to take closet from adjacent room), that we would regret baths being too small, but in practice, both baths have enough room, and plenty of storage for the 4 of us. So, our discovery is you can make a very nice bath without making a giant one.

• ne_flyingdiver
    15 years ago

great job. I love the master's floors.

• deedee-2008
    15 years ago

Ed....I love both baths. We also have two small ones (baths) with two tween girls. I can't ever imagine buying a house with one bath. (But go figure...I was one of six kids, and the eight of us shared two baths and lived to tell about it!). Anyways, can you give some specifics on your fixtures and who made the vanities? I am trying to find 36 inch vanities with lots of drawers like yours have. Thanks.

• Tom Damratoski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The fixtures are Moen Kingsley, chrome finish. (purchased by plumber ) The shower in master is one of their complete 3/4" spa sets, + we bought a separate Moen showerhead...the one that you can switch from rain back to normal....highly recommend this option.

Chrome is a rare phenomenon....my wife and I both love it, and it's the least expensive finish option!

The kid's vanity is 28", and ours is 42 or 44"...both ordered from Home Decorators, complete w/ granite tops/sinks. ...The vanities is where we saved a bit. We're very happy w/ both vanities. One caveat, the drawers are pretty much wood boxes that sit inside cubby holes..no slides/dovetails/etc....We don't expect them to last a lifetime, but again, I'm happy with what we got vs. what we paid, and the wood finish looks great on both. . ONe caution...plumber hated hooking up the waste to the 28"...that is a very narrow cabinet!

flying diver, thanks on the floor comment...it's carrara, so expensive per sqft, but not too much in our small bath! We both love the feel and look of it

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Ooh, ooh, someone to ask about homedecorators vanities! What color are the sinks, really? Are they white or ivory? Do you think that if you disliked one you could swap it out for a different sink if you wanted to? Is the white one the Hampton Bay model?

Love both bathrooms, especially the blue one.

• Tom Damratoski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

writersblock- the small white vanity is a Hampton Bay model, and I say the sink is white. The larger vanity in the master appears to be more ivory than white. It appears one could replace the sink, but I have very little knowledge on kitchen sink standard sizes, etc.

The hampton bay vanity took a while (on backorder), and the cabinet that goes over the toilet was just received today-more than 2 months after ordering!...so be cautious of timing if you order something that is on backorder.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Thanks, edmakeover. The website is a bit confusing because they seem to use white and ivory pretty interchangeably for a lot of things besides sink color.

I appreciate the heads-up on the delivery time.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

I don't suppose edmakeover is still lurking around the bath forum? Tried to send an email but the form never showed up.

Just in case you happen to be around, can you tell me the dimensions of your master bath shower? I'm thinking of doing something similar in our teeniest master which is currently just a powder room and need to know if we might have enough space. By the way, I think the 2 baths turned out great!

Anyone else have a small shower in a really small bathroom who would care to share pics and dimensions?

thanks!

• Tom Damratoski
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jesse21-lucky for you, i was just checking back in for a retaining wall question, the shower is a standard Jacuzzi brand neo angle 42" base. The doors are custom glass. I'm happy with the configuration of shelves...we're happy with this layout...we have a window to work with, so this works well...there's actually more space than neede

• mlou_51
    14 years ago

Just wondering, having used the shower for a while now do you feel you have enough space in the angle shower? Also what is the wall space footage where the toilet sits? I have a 7 x 7 half bath and want to add a shower. I'm going crazy trying to figure it out and your layout looks so similar to mine. I had thought of maybe the angle or quarter round one I've seen at HomeDepot/Lowes. Is the Jacuzzi shower base as sturdy as it looks? I love both your bathrooms, a wonder job! thanks, Mlou