Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
marble slab wall shower

Posted by kisu (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 21:15

I'd like to get some advice on installing full white carrera marble slab walls. This would be for one room that is a full shower and also above a cast iron tub that will be used as a tub/shower combo.

We are thinking of using black felt paper over the studs for a vapor barrier, then 1/2" hardi-backer, then using some type of epoxy to adhere the white marble (not sure what best epoxy for this is). Not sure yet whether marble will go all the way to ceiling but I doubt it since that would make the marble very heavy and also usually the wall to ceiling is never perfectly straight so that requires yet another slant cut at the ceiling height. So marble will probably stop about a foot from the ceiling - advice on this would be great too.

Any advice on how to proceed would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: marble slab wall shower

I need it to be a full real marble slab that is white Carrera in coloring- no lines and no fake cultured marble.

I'm looking more for installation instructions. Plus you are not located in the San Francisco Bay area.

o

Call a stone pro and have them quote you. It's not at all DIY friendly to be carrying a 500 pound piece of stone and jockeying it into place. Much less, being able to cut and polish. Just be sure the infrastructure supports your decor choice. As in the joists are rated to carry that much weight without too much deflection, and the stud walls have to be absolutely straight. No bowing or out of plumb or square. That's the hardest part about the whole job. Prepping usually is. $100 a square foot would be about a beginning charge for this with a basic marble. Prettier is of course, more money. You might be able to squeak it all out of one slab, but I'd bet on buying two bookmatched ones if having the veins flow well is important to you.

o

You can use the fake calacata slabs instead of the real Carrara . They are being sold at the marble wearhouse . You cannot tell the difference to the real stone . They are lighter in weight and maintenance free for the shower area .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here