Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
divadly_gw

Acceptable length of single vanity?

divadly
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am looking at floor plans for a master bathroom remodel. Currently we have 2 seperate vanities in the plan. My vanity is 4' 6.5". My husband's is 4' 2.5". I would like to fit a floor to ceiling storage cabinet (around 10 inches in depth) into the plan. The only way to do it will involve reducing the width of my husbands vanity by 5 - 10" (dependent on how much we can shorten the water closet by - determined by the buidling code).

My question is, what is an acceptable width for a single vanity? My husband is not fussed about it but I want to ensure he does have enough space and we also like to take re-sale into account too.

Pics of your vanities with a shorter width would be appreciated too!

P.S. does anyone know what the min WC length is in TX?

THANK YOU!

Comments (5)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Could you just use 2 of the 48 in vanities? That's a standard length, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem, plus it will be easy to replace if needed. That would give you 9 inches right there.

Not sure about the WC, but I think, if I remember right, I've seen many postings here about needing 24 inches clearance in front of the toilet. I think that would make 5 feet about the shortest, since many toilets are well over 2 feet long if elongated bowl is used. Even that might feel cramped to some depending on set up.

• ikea_gw
    10 years ago

Most men I know don't really need much counter space. I bet your husband can live with a 36 inch vanity but you should check with him. More importantly though is whether the room will still feel balanced with two vanities at different width. If they are laid out side by side it might look odd with a ft of difference. Can you share your layout>

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

from 2705.1:

Code minimum dimensions for a WC are 30" by 60". Toilet needs to be centered in that case, as the toilet centerline can't be closer than 15" to a side obstruction; wall, vanity, etc. Local codes don't usually override those mimimums.

Need a minimum of 21" of "kneeroom" between the front of the toilet and any obstruction. Many local codes increase this number.

Also, for a door in a WC, it needs to open outwards. It prevents an incapacitated person inside the WC from preventing the door from being opened.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

I've done plenty of "his and hers" master baths where "his" was only a 24" or 30" single vanity while "hers" was 48" or more. But, the room design didn't depend on symmetry, just the overall visual balance that involved the other elements visually taking up some of the space. When confronted by one of those uber symmetrical spaces where equal sized vanities flank a tub with a window behind and it's all viewed as a whole from the door, you're going to have a much tougher time making that look good without sticking with symmetrical choices.

Post your diagram of your space for some more informed choices to be suggested.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Funny, my DH at least as much counter space as I do - for shaving stuff. I don't wear makeup or use hair stuff, so I just have a toothbrush and keep my hair brushed/combs in a drawer. I think 2 48" vanities would look better than 2 slightly-different sized ones.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!