Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lillo_gw

Do these Shower door hinges look right ????

lillo
10 years ago

Does this shower door look right to you ? I am concerned about the size of the glass door . Shouldn't the glass be inserted the same way in the bottom and lower hinge . This is the lower hinge .

Comments (19)

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the upper hinge .

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

The glass needs to be plumb. Is it? What about the wall?

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you mean by plumb ?

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Hi lillo,
    "Plumb" means 100%, EXACTLY vertical. It appears from your photos that the shower glass is tipped away from the wall because it wasn't seated correctly in the hinge. I want to just give it a shove--if only it were that easy! )-: Hopefully, it will be a quick fix.

I'm so sorry about all of your reno aggravations lately! It looks like the end is in sight.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Shanghaimom for the explanation and your sympathy .
    i don't know if it was plumb or not as I am not there all the time when they work . My question is , is that normal or Ok for the door to tip like that ?
    If its not normal , how do you fix that ?

• millworkman
    10 years ago

No the door is not supposed to be tipped period. It looks like it slipped out of the hinge before tightening. For the door to work properly it needs to be installed plumb(which you received the definition of already), level and square. I would be concerned if the door was installed properly and THEN the glass slipped that the hinge was not properly attached and the glass may slip out further possibly breaking.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

You can check if it is CURRENTLY plumb yourself. Get a string and tie something heavy to one end. Hold the string up at the top corner of the top of the shower door by the end NOT attached to the heavy object (like a nut, as in a bolt and nut). If the string isn't parallel to the edge of the glass, (ie, the glass "tips") then it is not plumb. And, you'll want to call your installers.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Miilworkman, what if the door is plumb and the wall is out of plumb? Should the top hinge have been set out, proud from the wall a bit, with a gasket for instance; then the glass totally seated within the hinge?

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes enduring you guessed it right . The door is plumb but the wall isn't . This is what I found out today when I asked my so called GC . His crew didn't plumb the wall . So my question now , is that acceptable to leave it like that ? I am concerned about water getting out from the top . The so called GC said that they can put something like clear plastic edge in this area . I don't know what he is talking about . Would that work in your opinion ? Or is there something else that I can do to remedy this at that point . Thank you all for your feedback .

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

It's unlikely water will get out of the hinge side too much. It's more likely to escape where your body will be in relation to the gaps (which is often on the handle side).

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Well then the good news is it should not fall out of the hinge , the bad news is they will need to do something for the water. I would be tempted to make the GC redo the entire thing as that is terrible, plumbing the wall is GC 101 (especially in that local). As far as a vinyl strip, not sure what would work there off the top of my head that would not look like ass. I need to give that some thought.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks KevinMP and millworkman for your feedback . As hard as I want this GC to redo the whole thing correctly , as its impossible for me to do so because I just started the fourth month in my MB Reno and I can't take it anymore . I just hope to find a solution so that I won't risk to have water coming out of the shower .

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

The glass is usually the last thing installed in a shower. Have you have tried it out and discovered where the water splatters off your bod? I totally understand not wanting to rebuild a wall. Our (wall) is slightly out of plumb also, but not really noticeable. Water doesn't splash there so we let it go. Before you worry about it, see if you have a problem that you cannot live with.

If it drives you nuts, get it redone now. We had our entire tiled shower floor removed because the drain wasn't installed correctly (and it looked like crap too).

These things should be expected to be built and installed to "industry standards".

We only messed with this for a couple months, however, back when we did our kitchen well over 3 months I reached a point where I just wanted my house back, no matter what.

-Babka

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

The glass is usually the last thing installed in a shower. Have you have tried it out and discovered where the water splatters off your bod? I totally understand not wanting to rebuild a wall. Our (wall) is slightly out of plumb also, but not really noticeable. Water doesn't splash there so we let it go. Before you worry about it, see if you have a problem that you cannot live with.

If it drives you nuts, get it redone now. We had our entire tiled shower floor removed because the drain wasn't installed correctly (and it looked like crap too).

These things should be expected to be built and installed to "industry standards".

We only messed with this for a couple months, however, back when we did our kitchen well over 3 months I reached a point where I just wanted my house back, no matter what.

-Babka

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Babka for your feedback . I am at this point now that I want no more workers in my house . I have to wait for the tile man to seal the shower to try it . I will keep you posted .

• sofla
    10 years ago

My glass door attaches to a pony wall on the bottom and a glass panel on top. There is a tiny space where the glass door attaches. It did catch my eye that I went to my guest shower enclosure to see if it had the same space and it did. I also have an 1/8 in space that I was more concerned about where the glass door meets with the overhang of the shower bench-handle side. I placed a rug to test if water escapes either openings and to my surprise it didn't.
    I hope you have the same results.
    Keep on things because once you lose momentum it will be hard to get motivation to continue. I am so burned out that I am leaving my next remodel of the master bedroom flooring to the fall.

• lillo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Sofla for your feedback . I hope I won't have an issue with water . I can't go through replacing the shower walls . My DH doesn't want to see workers in the house anymore . I don't know when he will consider replacing the carpet in the bedroom , not any time soon for sure .

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

Since the door is not sitting properly, it was not measured properly. The person who measured should be held responsible. He should of known that wall was out of plumb. I believe the door can be templated to take that wall into consideration and re-made.

I had a similar experience when my DH decided to save money and DIY our enclosure. He did not take our out of plumb knee wall into consideration. It threw everything off.

I landed up spending more $$ because I had to have one panel re-template by a professional and re-made. It was worth my sanity.

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

Since the door is not sitting properly, it was not measured properly. The person who measured should be held responsible. He should of known that wall was out of plumb. I believe the door can be templated to take that wall into consideration and re-made.

I had a similar experience when my DH decided to save money and DIY our enclosure. He did not take our out of plumb knee wall into consideration. It threw everything off.

I landed up spending more $$ because I had to have one panel re-template by a professional and re-made. It was worth my sanity.