Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy2learn

Bathroom sink faucet height: low-, mid-, or high arc?

happy2learn
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm curious if any of you have any complaints or praises about the spout height of your bathroom sink faucet. This may sound silly, but I have a high-arc faucet in my guest powder room and the water always seems to splash on the counter top. (It is an undermount sink and the hole seems to be set back a bit, so perhaps the faucet doesn't reach far enough into the sink?) I do love my gooseneck faucet in the kitchen, I am just not sure if I want a low, mid or high arc one in my teens' bathroom.

Again, I have a champagne taste on a soda-pop budget, so I have been looking in the big box stores and local hardware stores at the stock faucets, first. Our new stock granite vanity top was pre-drilled with 8" center holes, so of course I am limited to the more expensive widespread faucets. Most of the stock faucets at the big box stores seem to all be of the mid- to high arc variety. I think I only say one or two low-arc in stock (in the nickel finish I wanted, anyway).
I guess that is the most popular style right now. Is there a good reason for it in a bathroom that I haven't thought of? (Getting a drink out of the faucet without a cup, perhaps?) Our old bathroom faucets are all very low-arc.
Thanks for any info!

Comments (10)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I have the Delta Cassidy, which I would say is medium arc. It doesn't splash. We didn't want to spend a lot for our guest bath, and it was recommended by the saleswoman at a high-end hardware showroom. We chose chrome mainly so we didn't have to pay a premium for the faucet and all the accessories. I like the sparkle of chrome in a bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Cassidy

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I think part of the splashing issue is dependent on where you hold your hands when they are under the running water. With a higher arc faucet you are able to hold your hands above the rim of the sink, which will result in splashing. If you hold your hands lower than the sink rim, you shouldn't have a splashing issue.

• happy2learn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. That Delta Cassidy faucet sure is pretty,may flowers. I know I sound cheap (but I really am on a tight budget), so I am trying to stay under $150 if possible. I am really going to have a hard time explaining to my husband why we need to spend even that much on a faucet, LOL.
    I never thought about high arcs getting in the way when you lean over, nycbluedevil. Good point.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I have a Pfister Pasedena and a Grohe Arden. They are both nice, one I'd consider high, the other medium. I was thrilled with the Pasedena over the old plastic single knob models, then I got the Arden. I was a little concerned when I learned it was a budget line, but I cannot believe how smooth the handles turn! I've never had handles like that, and it was only 120 for the centerset. Even my GC was impressed with the quality.

No splashing unless I blast the water and put stuff close to the spout.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

depends on how you use it. To get a drink? To wash your hair (head dunk), or to brush your teeth and wash your face.

I love the look of the high arc faucet. Good in a kitchen for filling big pots if you don't have a pull out. We had one in a hotel bathroom...I bent over to wash my face and my forehead clanked into the top of the faucet. When I dunked my head in the bowl to wash my hair I clanged into the faucet on the back of my head on the way up. I like the regular (mid???) ones, as I can do whatever I like to do and not get headaches! So it all depends on how it will be used.

-Babka

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I like the look of a high arc and the ability to fit things under the faucet easily ( glass, dog dish, container for carpet cleaner,etc). I haven't had any splashing issues with mine.

• lcm_maine
    10 years ago

We got a Delta Windemere, although a centerset model, which is a medium arc. There seemed to be several similar models in a reasonable price range (HD/Lowes) Our primary reason for going away from a low arc (downstairs guest/day time convenience bathroom) was that I couldn't fit anything under the low arc that I needed to fill or rinse out -- small plant watering can, water bottle, etc. New one does not splash, and is low enough not to be a head-conking hazard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windemere models

• cruzinpattis
    10 years ago

Great tread about arc" faucets.
    They do have an up-to-date style...even so, do fear splashing issues.

I don't know which way to go?
    Widespread faucet (three holes) or single hole for a small countertop in the bathroom.
    Would a medium arc be over powering for a tiny space?

• Lisa Schnelle
    3 years ago

when installing a faucet, can the piece with the arc be replaced independently? For instance, I have a high arc faucet now. My landlord just replaced it with a no arc faucet. I like the higher arc. Can I replace just that part on a faucet?