Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wet and damp location for led lights

Posted by tim45z10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 20:44

These new led lights say wet or damp on the box. What is the difference? Is over the shower wet or damp?
Thank you for your help.
Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wet and damp location for led lights

Over the shower is "wet", because it may get splashed with water. "Damp" means moist or high humidity, as in a general lighting in a bathroom with a shower/tub but not directly over either, or outdoors but under an overhang protected from rain.

I think if you mean putting an LED light bulb in a recessed "shower light" with a sealed lens, as long as the bulb can be used in a fully enclosed fixture, you're ok. If you're talking LED modules with built-in trim, you'll need one approved for wet locations. The Commercial Electric that HD sells for 4" or 5"/6" cans (made by Halo i think) will work; the Cree 4" and 6" modules (sold as "Ecosmart" at HD) won't since they're damp only, which is too bad since they give off better quality light.

o
RE: wet and damp location for led lights

Thank you for your help. HD does have a 5" led for wet locations. unfortunately, the clearance in my attic is so close I dont want to risk trying this size.
Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here