Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom mirror/medicine cabinet

Posted by donnar57 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 20:39

Hmmm....thought I hit "Submit", not "Cancel". So, trying again.

We are going into a bathroom refurbishment. It's a remodel, but not an extensive one. We need to gut both the upstairs and the master bathroom, and put in new vanities, medicine chests and mirrors, toilets, and shower/bath combo (upstairs) and shower stall downstairs. Paint, put in new flooring. The upstairs is pretty well planned out and doesn't have any problems. The master bath is another story.

The vanity is in a 48" space surrounded by walls on 3 sides. There is a short wall on the right, creating a divider between the vanity area, and the toilet/shower stall area. We believe it is a load-bearing wall and is therefore staying right there during the remodel/refurbish.

My husband wants a unique type of mirror and medicine cabinet combination. He saw one somewhere and thought it would be pretty neat to have, but in combining our big-box stores and some local K&B stores, we're not finding anything like it. The unit had a plain mirror in the middle, and then two corner medicine cabinets flanking it. It matched the wood in the bathroom vanity.

Now, I'm thinking something like this might be custom made (and probably out of our budget). Unless someone here has an idea?

I told him, maybe we should get two corner mirrored medicine chests that either match or compliment the vanity wood, and then a plain mirror (or a framed one) in the middle. Fortunately for us, we haven't picked out a vanity for the master bath yet. But once again, finding cornered mirrored medicine cabinets in any of the stores we've tried, has not been successful.

If anyone has other ideas that would be similar, or even the name of the object he is looking for (so I can do a Google search), I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom mirror/medicine cabinet

Your dh has an interesting idea. I thought I'd seen everything while planning our new house - obviously I haven't!

Do you know where you are getting your vanity? If you've thought about a custom shop - and custom is amazingly affordable - they could do any kind/size of vanity and matching mirror/medicine cabinet configuration you would like.

o

i know it's not what you're asking about, but Robern makes an awesome cabinet called the Uplift. we're getting it for our 48" vanity in our bathroom remodel. it is very unique and has quite a "wow" factor.
it can be recessed or wall mounted, has outlets inside, has an optional defogger and LED nightlight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robern Uplift

o

Like this? I did a Google search for "3 part mirror medicine cabinet" and this was at the top of the page from Signature Hardware.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 part mirror medicine cabinet

o

Babka, my MIL had one of those types of medicine cabinets. I liked it, but hubby doesn't.

What he is envisioning: 2 triangular corner mounted medicine cabinets, with the door being a mirror. Between the two, a mirror, either built into a frame or just mounted on the wall with a frame. The wood needs to match the vanity's wood.

I've linked a sample of a corner medicine cabinet with a mirror. Picture one of those in two corners of the alcove, with a mirror in between;

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner mounted medicine cabinet

o

Ah, now I see what you mean. You have nothing to lose in getting a quote from a local cabinet shop. And as Gladys says above, they can be surprisingly affordable and you can get exactly what you want that will fit perfectly.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here