Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lolaz_gw

Finished bathroom!

lolaz
13 years ago

Here it is, my favorite room of the house (so far)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom

Comments (21)

• karena_2009
    13 years ago

Oh, that's a beautiful bathroom! Please share the details:

~What is the tile on the floor and what color grout did you use? I love it.

~What toilet/bathtub did you use? Did you re-use the existing ones?

~What kind of sink did you use? I love it.

That looks like a great soaker tub! Love the vintage look and feel. I can certainly understand why it's your favorite room in the house.

• sundownr
    13 years ago

Love the tile! You've done a beautiful job.

• lolaz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The floor is Daltile Keystones in 1" hex & 1" squares, biscuit, black, and spa

Grout is Laticrete midnight black

The bathtub is original, just cleaned up and painted

Toilet is American Standard Cadet 3 elongated (though I still have the original Standard wall mount tank toilet to be rehabbed someday...)

Sink is from signaturehardware.com the Lila console sink

And thanks! We are really proud of it, my husband and I did everything ourselves!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Great job...it looks so delightfully retro. Nice job on the tiles, sink and tub. I can see why it is your favorite and you are proud of the DIY.

• karena_2009
    13 years ago

Thank you lolaz for posting the details. I am very impressed and again, love, love the pattern on the floor. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your pictures!

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

• kimkitchy
    13 years ago

Nicely done! I love your vintage look, especially the floors and the fact that you refurbished the tub. What color is your paint, and is the chandelier vintage or new? Thanks for sharing the pics, it's a wonderful room!

• aunttomichael
    13 years ago

I love it! You and I have a very similar style and I think each of your choices is perfect. That tile brings tears to my eyes.

Yes, would you please give us details of the chandelier?

Also, what's the paint color?

• User
    13 years ago

what a pretty job! Love how light and airy it looks!

• jab66
    13 years ago

Beautiful. I'm jealous. :)

• lolaz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your nice comments!

The paint is Sherwin Williams Buoyant Blue

Chandelier is from overstock.com Chrome Crystal Chandelier. Such a compliment that it looks vintage!

• diynewbie_sf
    13 years ago

Lolaz, sooo beautiful! I am *really* impressed that you did this all yourselves. Really creative tiling under the tub, too. I am trying to figure out how to use hex tile right now w/ flowers - did you have to cut up 12" sheets of biscuit hex and add in the black flowers or did you buy it w/ pre-formed flowers? I heard it was really hard to cut up the hex sheets if they are not on mesh (I think the Dal tiles come connected with rubber?) Thanks for sharing!
    Maia

• lolaz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@diynewbie
    The flowers were no easy task. The hex sheets are about 1'x2' and connected with rubber dots. What I did was fold the sheets up to kink the rubber dots that I wanted to break, then you could tear along your damaged dots a bit easier. Almost like creasing paper to tear along a straight line, just with tile and rubber nubbins. I then used a utility knife to cut off the extra rubber bits because it caused uneven spacing. I'm not even a little bit experienced at tiling, so it's likely that there's a much better way to do this.

• diynewbie_sf
    13 years ago

Rubber nubbin - love it! That's exactly what those are! thanks for the tip, I'll practice my rubber nubbin cutting skills this weekend! Hope the 1x1's came on mesh and not w/ rubber dots! Otherwise that's a lot of cuts...and patience!

• jani18
    13 years ago

Hi Lolaz:

Fantastic bathroom!!!!

Can you tell me about your baseboards. Are they wood, how high?

Thanks.

Jani

• kitch_n_kat
    13 years ago

Niiice. The tile rug under tub grounds and showcases this gem....and the swing open window- love that swing open window. Wonder if chandelier is on a dimmer for evening soaks. Lovely room head to toe.

• diynewbie_sf
    13 years ago

Lolaz, one more q - is that hex unglazed Dal tile or glazed? Thanks again for sharing!

• lolaz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@Jani
    Baseboards are from Lowes, the tallest one they had (about 9"). They're MDF. I had a hard time cutting them because my miter saw only cut 8 1/2". But they look great!

@Diynewbie
    Unglazed! Didn't want a slippery bathroom floor. Plus I figured any chips in the tile over the next hundred years will be less noticable

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

It's stunning, Lolaz! Congratulations on mastering such a beautiful bathroom! I absolutely love your tile selections- classic with an edge of the unexpected, just gorgeous.

I, too, am cleaning/repainting an old tub. Which product did you use? Were you pleased with it?

Thanks!

• jani18
    13 years ago

Lolaz:

Thanks for the baseboard info. Yes, they do look great!!!!

Jani

• lolaz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I found so much inspiration from this website. I hope your home projects are as satisfying as this one has been for me.

@younggardener
    I cleaned the interior of the tub with soft scrub and the rough side of a kitchen sponge. It took several sessions of scrubbing to get where I could imagine ever coming out of the tub cleaner than when I got into it. I have since heard a great idea of using fizzing denture cleaning tablets! I absolutely did not want to refinish the inside of the tub, you can't get tubs like that anymore! Even ones that cameo-ed as horse troughs for 50 years can still be cleaned up.

For the outside, I sanded as much grunge off as possible, then washed it and let it dry. Then a coat of bare metal primer followed by 2 coats of of Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. There are lots of recommendations online for different paints, but I figured this would be glossy and waterproof.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living