Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Crown Molding

Posted by KevinMP (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 20:27

I know this is the bathroom forum, but some of you are already familiar with some of my story and my taste, so I thought I'd try here as well as in the other heavily trafficked forum for kitchens.

I'm having my same contractor install crown molding in my downstairs dining room (which could also be a living room depending on how you wanted to furnish my house).

Here are the pictures. Bear in mind that the ceiling height is about 10' and that the crown must deadened in multiple places: by the steps in two places, one of which will require a mitered return and the other of which will butt into the white support by the staircase, and one on either side of the palladiian window.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm leaning towards using baseboard on the ceiling and wall, abutting each other, and then attaching the crown to the baseboard. Something like this:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Do you agree? Is it too much? Should I use a more plain crown, or should I use dental to pick up the dental highlights on the mantle? There's not much going on in this house. It's fairly plain as far as woodwork is concerned, and I think it could handle a little interest. Thank you for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Crown Molding

I'd use the inverted "baseboard" on the wall but not on the ceiling. Then the cove crown shown in the photo versus the ogee crown shown in the drawing.

I'd not use dentil.

Are your walls plaster? You could incorporate picture rail molding. then artwork hangs off of hooks that go on the picture molding instead of on nails driven into the walls.

I should have a photo somewhere...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here