Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Help with Crown Molding

KevinMP
11 years ago

I know this is the bathroom forum, but some of you are already familiar with some of my story and my taste, so I thought I'd try here as well as in the other heavily trafficked forum for kitchens.

I'm having my same contractor install crown molding in my downstairs dining room (which could also be a living room depending on how you wanted to furnish my house).

Here are the pictures. Bear in mind that the ceiling height is about 10' and that the crown must deadened in multiple places: by the steps in two places, one of which will require a mitered return and the other of which will butt into the white support by the staircase, and one on either side of the palladiian window.

{{gwi:1466163}}

{{gwi:1466164}}

{{gwi:1466165}}

I'm leaning towards using baseboard on the ceiling and wall, abutting each other, and then attaching the crown to the baseboard. Something like this:

{{gwi:1466166}}

{{gwi:1466167}}

Do you agree? Is it too much? Should I use a more plain crown, or should I use dental to pick up the dental highlights on the mantle? There's not much going on in this house. It's fairly plain as far as woodwork is concerned, and I think it could handle a little interest. Thank you for your input.

Comment (1)