Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin1727

ISO 30x60 cast iron tub for alcove

kevin1727
15 years ago

I had decided on the Kohler Villager, but after seeing one, I would like something just a little deeper. It seems all the deeper tubs are 32x60, but I can't do that because the tub would be too close to the toilet.

If it comes down to choosing a different tub material, I would rather take the shallow Villager.

Does anyone know of a suitable tub?

Comments (17)

• cindy_socal
    15 years ago

Kohler Villager.

I'm sorry.

I had to get one too.

I do use one of these when I take a bath; it helps a little.

Here is a link that might be useful: overflow plug

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Cindy,
    I saw your post from before and was still hoping there might be another choice. I did find the American Standard Belmor, but it is the same height. I am going to tell the contractor to get the Villager.
    Thanks for the overflow plug info!
    Kevin

• cindy_socal
    15 years ago

Hi Kevin,

I finally gave up and put the Villager in. It is still a disappointing bath depth, but it looks okay. The Am Standard Colony is acrylic and I was okay with that but it just looked weird and I couldn't see one in person. If acrylic is okay with you, you might check out the Kohler Hourglass.

I'm still a bit sad about not having a soakable bathtub, but I'm looking forward to my new shower which should be ready in a week or two. Compromises!

Cindy

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am still waiting for my shower to be finished. The Villager is going in the hall bath. At least I don't have to use it. It is for guests and whoever buys this place after I pay off the remodeling loan or die, whichever comes first. :)
    Thanks for the help Cindy! Guess we're in the same boat, or bathtub.

• Amina
    15 years ago

Installed it in our small bathroom that is being renovated now!
    Amina

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise Specialty Bathtub

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Well, dang. I'm in the same boat as you all and I was hoping this thread would produce some suggestions. Sigh. Maybe those scratches in my old American Standard aren't that bad after all. At least it's a little deeper than the Villager.

I have the deepwater bath thing, but it's not at all what I want after renovating.

• Amina
    15 years ago

oops, okay just realized that I missed the part where you said you wanted a deeper tub! I thought you might like a narrower tub since you can't be too close to the toilet. Oh well :)

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can a drop-in work for a shower/tub? I am thinking since this is an alcove and the walls are forming the shower walls, that a drop-in wouldn't work. I think a drop-in would need a shower cutain all around.
    How are you using your drop-in?

• Amina
    15 years ago

GC made a frame for the drop in running the width of the bathroom and the additional space at the bottom of the tub (about 10") is cemented to form that (tiled) ledge. (sorry if all my terminology is wrong!)

We're going to install a fixed glass shower door. The ledge at the bottom of the tub is for shampoo etc.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Well, for me it wouldn't work, since the reason I can't do a 32" tub is that I can't go that much wider without running into the door frame.

amina, are you saying you got that drop in tub in an enclosure that is no more than 30"wide, total?

• kevin1727
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The overall width is 27.5", so that leaves 2.5" for a ledge. I guess the back of the tub could be placed against the wall and tile comes down to the top, but from what I have read, a tile flange is really preferred.
    My contractor is not going to get the tub for another couple weeks, so I have a little time to change my mind.

• Amina
    15 years ago

Hi writersblock,

Sorry for not posting back sooner. Tub is in enclosure that is 28" wide ie from wall to outer edge. GC said he set it into the wall. It is unlikely that we'll use the tub for baths (were thinking of resale or would have preferred a walk-in shower!), mainly for showers.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Thanks, amina.

• Amina
    15 years ago

Hi again,
    This is the tub I would have preferred to get! Went with the one that would get to us sooner. I do think the Porcher would be better quality...
    Amina

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcher Sink

• budge1
    15 years ago

We did ours last year and went on the same frantic search. We ended up with being able to squeeze in a 32", but it is only 12" from the centre line of the toilet, not 15" like it is suppose to be. Too bad about the door frame in your case.

• jas-space
    15 years ago

Have similar space constraints, and in search of a tub/shower 28x48. Is there a tile flange kit that can be used with the Sunrise Specialty built-in tub?

• Amina
    15 years ago

Jas-space,
    I really don't know!

Fyi, I don't particularly love the Sunrise tub and wish we had gone with the Porcher (I had sinks on my mind when I wrote "Porcher Sink" for the link above!) as it would have been better quality. As I said above, we just went with the tub that could reach us sooner so as to avoid delays.

Actually, on the subject of wishes, I wish we had just built a walk-in shower and ditched the tub altogether!!

Back to the thread, I think both tubs would work in the tight space mentioned...

Amina