Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pretendstogarden

I think I am in over my head with tiling bathroom

pretendstogarden
16 years ago

Oh, I hope that someone can help me, or at least give me some confidence to finish this project. I am so intimidated. This is going to be a very long story, I am so sorry. We bought this place 9 yrs ago. It is not fancy, nor very large. It is a modest 3 bdrm, 1 & 1/2 bath ranch circa 1960's that we only paid 60,000 for. We finally decided to gut the main bathroom and redo. Like I said, nothing big or fancy. It originally had the 4x4 PLASTIC tiles as wainscotting, a cheap fiberglass surround around the tub, with a handheld shower to make it into a shower/tub combo. It also had a regular sized window above the tub/shower. We had put up a mini-blind and shower curtain on the window....AAAKKK. So I decided to have the carpenter put a smaller window in, up higher, so no window treatments needed. Here is my dilemma. I have never done tile, ever. I was just going by what my sister, neighbor, what I have read from here, etc. I decided to do the tile myself to save some $$$, because we had already overspent on everything else. I decided to go with the 4x4 glossy light gray and white up to the ceiling in the shower area, checkerboard style, with a top rail (is that what it is called) of 6x2 white bullnose, under that 6x1/2 black pencil liner, then the 4x4 gray tiles, then another black pencil liner, under that would be the 4x4 gray & white checkerboard. Plus I have 4 of the ceramic shelves, and a soap dish. My sister said "oh, it is easy, I will help you!". She didn't use spacers, it looked so uneven, I tore it out, and we started over. But the thinset was thicker on the part that we tore out and re-did, that it kind of bows out and does not look even at all. So I am sitting here with a half done, not even half done, bathroom. Plus the fact that I am such a perfectionist it is not even funny, and she is such a " Oh it will be just fine" type of gal. What I was thinking of doing is this... tearing out what was done, and sanding down the un-even walls (because of the thinset). I have actually even thought about taking all the tile back, and getting larger tiles, so as to not have so many tiles to have to put up. But then I would have to figure out what to do with the area around the window, and the shelves and soap dish. I really kind of liked the look of the retro 60's type, plus I found this really cool red and white toile shower curtain that would look so cool in there. For the floor, since it is a starter/kids oriented house, I had Armstrong Solarian Urban Settings Stucco in the Smoke color put in. Plus it is only a 5 x 9 room. I got really excited, but then really fizzled out. Should I bite the bullet and hire someone to do the tile, or can anyone give me some confidence to do it myself??? Only thing is, the guy who put my vinyl floor in, told me to use (and this is one of the oldest and best known flooring and tile places in town) to use ORGANIC MASTIC!!!!! AAAKKK!! Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Theresa

Comments (10)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Well, atleast you knew enough not to use the mastic. Theresa, go ahead and shoot me an email.

pretendstotile

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

I did tiling for the first time when I tiled my backsplash and I can give you some advice from one beginner to another (not meant to replace the advice of a pro, but just might be some things that a pro takes for granted since they are good at what they do).

IMO the way to get a professional looking job is to:

1) take your time. It's not going to go quick, that comes with practice. It took me a week to do my backsplash, a pro would have done it in a day, but I got a professional look.

2) use spacers. If there are no lugs on your tile to give the proper spacing, use spacers. I will never forget watching some DIY show, maybe weekend warriors, where the guy was like "I don't need to use spacers, I have a good eye." Oh what a crappy install THAT turned out to be. Again this is a practice thing, someone who does this all the time might be able to do it without spacers but you don't have that much practice so use them.

3) never work with someone who doesn't have the same standards you do. Tiling is not necessarily a 2 person job.

4) Try out one of those cheapie tiling kits at home depot - the one that comes with a cheap, half circle shaped piece of tin for spreading thinset. I have kind of small hands (definitely smaller than the average man) and found that this tool was MUCH easier for me to control than the larger trowel. Sure, you can't spread as much at one time but see #1. Even with the trowel, the thing is notched to make sure you get the right amount of thinset on the walls. Use the right size notches (maybe bill can help you with that and also some tips for applying).

4) Buy more extra than you'd need for a pro and don't be afraid to use it... to re-cut anything that needs to be re-cut etcetc.

• pretendstogarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks kgwlisa, but I just have so many questions. I just need to bite the bullet and get it done, it has been torn up all spring and summer.
    Like. do I need to put Redgard on the walls before tiling? I asked the "carpenter" that did this for me, if he put up a vapor barrier before he put in the walls. "Oh the insulation has a vapor barrier on it." Well I don't think he put insulation on the inside walls, just the one outside wall. This is also the same guy that put my medicine cabinet in upside down, and said that my fan does not need to be ducted to the outside, that the moisture and air would go out thru the vents in the attic.(True or False?)That is one of the main reasons we re-did the bathroom, to eliminate the mold and mildew problem.
    How high do I put in the shelves? I have four to put in, plus a soap dish.
    Do you put thinset on the wall AND on the tile before sticking it on the wall?
    Should I take off the 4 rows of tile that I (with my sisters help) have up there and start over? It seems that they are not "flat" against the wall, or should I just figure that its not that bad and finish it.
    What should the space be between the tiles? I was using 1/8.
    What do I do with the 1/4 inch gap between the tub and durarock on the side of the tub?

help

Theresa

I really would like to have this done before winter. LOL

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Theresa, Bill V gave you the O.K. to email him for help. Don't look a gift-Bill in the mouth. Email him.

Red

• pretendstogarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did, I think he has been really busy, and didn't want to bother him. I think I will email him again tho.
    Thanks!

• budge1
    16 years ago

ptg, I once emailed bill using the gardenweb link and he never got it. If that's how you mailed him, you might want to retype his address into your own mail program when you try again.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

That must be what happened, because I never saw it. Theresa, try again-- THIS WEEKEND. I leave tomorrow afternoon for Connecticut to work down there and won't be back till next weekend. I'll email you back my number and we can discuss this.

• pretendstogarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

O.K. Bill, hopefully you got the new email I sent?

Theresa

• chriskelly13
    16 years ago

well, we are all wondering (me anyway) about your thinset question. Although we are having our bathroom tiled by a pro (I hope), I just spent the WE tiling with tiny glass mosaic tiles found cheap online the hearth of our living room. The darn tiles are still coming up even after grouting. I used a premixed mortar from HD.

• spanky67
    16 years ago

Chris, per Mongo, you absolutely can't use premixed thinset (AKA: Mastic) on glass. When I put a glass border around my kids bath I used a special thinset by Mapei specially designed for glass installs.

Regarding the thinset question...it depends, but usually no. Spreading thinset on the wall, raking it out using the appropriate notched trowel and setting the tile is normally all that's required. You could find yourself in a situation where there's a dip in the wall and you need to add a little thinset to the back of the tile so it sits flat. If you've got a light above that tile, any differences in plane will be magnified by that light.

As you already know, the mastic was a mistake. Good news is, it sucks so bad that if you get after it ASAP it will come right off and you will be able to save the glass tiles. Dunk the tiles in warm soapy water and you should be good to go.