Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

The towel ring and the towel bar

Bunny
9 years ago

The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand towel ring. However, I was not expecting this to result in a quandary.

I assumed the mounting plate would be at the same level as the adjacent towel bar. The angle may look off, but they are roughly level.

But that makes the hand towel look a little low and droopy.

I can line the towels up, but then it looks like the towel ring itself is too high.

This is where I planned for the towels to go. The only other place, on the opposite wall, already has a lot going on (mirror, toilet, art-over-toilet).

What's the verdict?

Comments (24)

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Of the two choices, I'd go with #2, matching the level of the tops of the towels.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

suzanne, thanks. Why did I not foresee this could be a problem? I'm almost ready to put it on the opposite wall, except I have the cutest framed photo there. Arrggghh.

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

I would go with #2 as well. Try it out even a bit higher and see how it looks. That might make it look like "purposeful" .

• flora2
    9 years ago

Definitely #2 or even a little bit higher

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I was thinking maybe higher too, but I was concerned that it wouldn't make a nice sight line with the framed (?) above the towel bar. You'd have to step back and see how that works.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. I will never again roll my eyes when someone asks a question about a piddly detail. :)

Here's a reverse shot through the mirror, the only way I can show that part of the wall while standing there holding the ring. It does look better than the other two options, more intentional, less ooops, however, I'm not sure it works either. Good thing there are no kids in the house.

The only way to avoid the sight line issue is to put the ring/towel on the opposite wall, to the left of the vanity. I might have to move the picture of Bessie, but I'm okay with that, although I did want a little something on that wall. Maybe she can stay?

• badgergal
    9 years ago

If you want it on the same wall as the towel bar and mounted at the same level, maybe you could shorter guest towels on the ring so the towel would not look "droopy"

I do like the towel ring on the opposite side better. I think you could leave Bessie's picture there and put the towel ring between it and the mirror.
    My daughter mounted her towel ring next to her mirror and I think it looks nice.

By the way the sneak peak of the mirror looks great. I'm glad that Crate and Barrel mirror worked out for you ( with your little added touch). I like the texture of that mirror.

This post was edited by badgergal on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 13:44

• Lars
    9 years ago

The hand towel holder should be close to the vanity/sink if at all possible. Just because it's a towel doesn't mean that it should be close to other towels. It looks to me as if you have room between the mirror and "Bessie". That being said, I have my hand towel on the same rack as the bath towel, but I have a double rack. Maybe you could switch your towel rack for a two-tiered version. Having a towel ring next to a towel bar looks cluttered to me.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Badgergal, thanks for weighing in!

I don't care if the hand towel is on the same wall as the bath towel. In fact, it makes more sense to drip across the counter than turn around and drip on the floor.

I don't do guest towels. :) My concession to gentility is to provide a hand towel. There will be no alterations.

Your daughter's bathroom looks great and I think her towel ring looks fine between the mirror and the shelves. Bessie hopes her photo can remain.

The mirror! It was nearly my undoing. You should have seen it in its interim state, really awful. Liquid Leaf (two coats) to the rescue. Seriously, it's amazing stuff.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Why not between the picture and the vanity?

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I know where the towel ring is going: Between the mirror and Bessie. Not only does it avoid the height disparity on the other wall, but it's the more logical place for it. Thank you SJ and Publickman. And, as luck would have it, the toilet isn't really centered between the tub and vanity so there's a little more room for a towel.

Publick, at this point, I'm done buying towel racks and moving them around. I'm sure there are other solutions but this will have to do.

I'll probably be back for a height opinion in the new location, because, you know, there's never a detail to minor to fret over. :p

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Perfect.

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

That's the spot!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I agree, perfect. (By the way, in light of your comment about "no detail too minor to fret over" - I originally bought a robe hook to use for my hand towel. Once installed I hated it because of course the towel covered the hook and you couldn't see it, it just looked like a towel blob on the wall. I replaced it with a ring. Much better)

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As always, you guys are the best!!! That's the spot.

SJ, towel blobs on the wall. :) I also bought a robe hook to use for my hand towel. I thought I was being very clever to think of it. Except, the towel just slid right off. I think it's meant for a real robe with a loop thing. Who wears a robe anymore? Okay, maybe some people do, but I haven't for years. It was more trouble than it was worth to return it, so I'm just keeping it for inspiration to hit.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have a thing about towels near the toilet, and I bet you do too, Linelle, having read your opinions about germs. :P

I would get a towel stand for the counter.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh good lord, may_flowers, now that everything's been drilled and hung, you raise the specter of germs. :P

I will just have to throw caution to the wind, because I love where it is, and it kinda disguises the fact that my toilet isn't centered.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can I just say how much I love these screw-in anchors?

And I hadn't noticed those little scratches in the carrara before I looked at this photo. They're not on the surface, which is very smooth. I guess I don't care.

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

Just think "patina". That's what I say when I see a new grey hair, too. Makes it all better.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Change the ring to a bar and they will be even?

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OldFixer, if I'd known the ring would give me fits, I'd probably have gotten a 24" and an 18" and run them in a line. But I didn't. And now it's a done deal.

Hah, note the hand towel cohabiting with the bath towel on the long rod. Best of both worlds.

• Sofia Akhter
    9 years ago

Linelle

Once again, you rescued me regarding my hand towel issue with your experience. :):)

I have exactly the same layout and was debating between 2 single rod/ 1 double rod/ 1 single rod and 1 ring next to each other. Since my hall bath is being used by my 2 girls and a toddler along with my very old mother-in-law, I wanted to have separate towel placement for them.

Thanks a lot for the visual as well. Helped a lot and gonna follow your way.

Sofia

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sofia, I'm glad I could be of assistance! I love this bathroom. It's my guest bath and has made me hate my master bath, so that's next on my list. For some reason, when I wash my hands, I usually turn around and dry them on my bath towel. Makes no sense. BTW, I love the ring.