Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to clean Kohler slip-resistant surface

Posted by hifixer (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 19:00

I recently had a Kohler Villager tub installed. During the course of installation of the shower trim, wall tiles, etc. the slip resistant surface of the tub got dirty. I think it's mostly from the bottoms of the construction guys' shoes. I waited till all the construction was done before I attempted to clean the tub(about 2 weeks later). But now I cannot get all the brownish/grayish stains out. What do you use to clean your Kohler slip-resistant surface?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to clean Kohler slip-resistant surface

Lysol basin, tub, and tile cleaner aerosol or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser usually do the trick on my Kohler cast iron shower receptor and Toto tubs' no-slip grips.

o

We just put in a Sterling tub, made by Kohler. Once a week I spray it with the Comet bathroom stuff, let it sit while I brush my teeth, then rinse, shower, and scrub with a magic eraser. So far looks great and takes about 10 minutes in all.

o

what i have found works best on our cast iron shower pan is ZUD... magic erasers are pretty effective, but take a very long time, don't hold up well and don't clean quite as well as zud...(tho maybe the ME bathroom specific scrub ones are stronger...)

o

I have been wondering the same thing. can you use soft scrub on a Kohler tub?

o

I agree that the slip resistant strips in the bottom of the Kohler tubs look dirty. Not happy about it either. My bathroom was finished a couple months ago and I wish I'd seen the tub in person before buying it. It's impossible to see those strips in an internet photo.

Mine was/is the same way. I cleaned it up after the contractors, but it seems to get dirty looking again! No one is walking in there in their shoes. My old tub had no strips, nor did it get dirty looking like this one.

I've been wishing I could slice them off with a razor blade.

o

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power, so I tried that and it worked very well. It took a while to scrub the whole bottom and I ended up using a whole sponge but the slip-resistant surface looks as good as new!

o

I recently used an idea from Pinterest: Fill a spray bottle with a 1:1 ratio of white distilled vinegar and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Spray on your tub (and tile, if you desire) and let sit for about 5 minutes. Use a soft sponge to wipe clean.
I am not kidding you when I say that I was AMAZED with the results!!!! It was so easy, so cheap, and the materials aren't caustic.
Let me know if you try it and how it works for you.
You're welcome, in advance... :-)

o

Same issues here for YEARS!!! First Kaboom worked--then after a few months of using it every week, not so much. Moved on to Lysol cleaner which worked for a few months of using it every week, then not so much. In the end, the best way I found to clean the slip resistant surface to a clean white every week (with a cleaning power that lasted more than a few months)is to use Bar Keepers Friend to scrub the tub. A regular sponge will do. Wet the tub surface & the sponge, sprinkle BKF in the tub, do a light "scrub" (just enough to make a paste over the tub bottom), let that sit while you scrub the tub sides then scrub the tub bottom and rinse.

Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here