Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hifixer

how to clean Kohler slip-resistant surface

hifixer
11 years ago

I recently had a Kohler Villager tub installed. During the course of installation of the shower trim, wall tiles, etc. the slip resistant surface of the tub got dirty. I think it's mostly from the bottoms of the construction guys' shoes. I waited till all the construction was done before I attempted to clean the tub(about 2 weeks later). But now I cannot get all the brownish/grayish stains out. What do you use to clean your Kohler slip-resistant surface?

Comments (19)

• williamsem
    11 years ago

We just put in a Sterling tub, made by Kohler. Once a week I spray it with the Comet bathroom stuff, let it sit while I brush my teeth, then rinse, shower, and scrub with a magic eraser. So far looks great and takes about 10 minutes in all.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

what i have found works best on our cast iron shower pan is ZUD... magic erasers are pretty effective, but take a very long time, don't hold up well and don't clean quite as well as zud...(tho maybe the ME bathroom specific scrub ones are stronger...)

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I have been wondering the same thing. can you use soft scrub on a Kohler tub?

• biochem101
    11 years ago

I agree that the slip resistant strips in the bottom of the Kohler tubs look dirty. Not happy about it either. My bathroom was finished a couple months ago and I wish I'd seen the tub in person before buying it. It's impossible to see those strips in an internet photo.

Mine was/is the same way. I cleaned it up after the contractors, but it seems to get dirty looking again! No one is walking in there in their shoes. My old tub had no strips, nor did it get dirty looking like this one.

I've been wishing I could slice them off with a razor blade.

• hifixer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Power, so I tried that and it worked very well. It took a while to scrub the whole bottom and I ended up using a whole sponge but the slip-resistant surface looks as good as new!

• dynamic
    11 years ago

I recently used an idea from Pinterest: Fill a spray bottle with a 1:1 ratio of white distilled vinegar and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Spray on your tub (and tile, if you desire) and let sit for about 5 minutes. Use a soft sponge to wipe clean.
    I am not kidding you when I say that I was AMAZED with the results!!!! It was so easy, so cheap, and the materials aren't caustic.
    Let me know if you try it and how it works for you.
    You're welcome, in advance... :-)

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Same issues here for YEARS!!! First Kaboom worked--then after a few months of using it every week, not so much. Moved on to Lysol cleaner which worked for a few months of using it every week, then not so much. In the end, the best way I found to clean the slip resistant surface to a clean white every week (with a cleaning power that lasted more than a few months)is to use Bar Keepers Friend to scrub the tub. A regular sponge will do. Wet the tub surface & the sponge, sprinkle BKF in the tub, do a light "scrub" (just enough to make a paste over the tub bottom), let that sit while you scrub the tub sides then scrub the tub bottom and rinse.

Hope this helps!

• Susan and Keith Frank
    7 years ago

I use straight Dawn dishwashing liquid on my tile shower bottom, scrub it to a lather and let it sit for a bit. Rinse and be amazed! 100% clean!

• Jane Camero
    7 years ago

I know I'm really late to the party but I have a Kohler tub with those anti-skid strips in my guest bathroom. I live in a condo built in the mid 80's so it's an old tub and it also looked like some small rust stains, too. The strips were brown and really ugly - embarrassing, really. I tried everything - Magic Erasers, bleach, cleanser, degreasers, you name it, I tried it but nothing would get those stains out. I usually make most of my cleaning products and I was making homemade version of Shout. I keep it in a peroxide bottle because the peroxide in the shout degrades if in a clear bottle. I spilled some of the peroxide in the tub and those stains just didappeared - just like magic. I'm still amazed how well it got rid of the stains. No rubbing, no scrubbing - I just poured it on and the stains were gone. I hope it works for you!

• pepperidge_farm
    7 years ago

I second the magic eraser given enough elbow grease- fixed an ancient tile job, just took a while. I tried everything else, and it failed to work. So even on a durable surface and in the grout in particular, it was my only solution.

• Jane Kelly
    6 years ago

Probably better to get tub without slip resistant strips.

• Kim Rygiel
    4 years ago

Instead of Dawn, use Sal’s Suds by Dr. Bronner’s. 1/2c Sal’s Suds + 1/2c white vinegar. Mix in a bottle and spray it on. Leave 10 minutes. It blew my mind. And it’s much better for the environment!

• mightylev
    2 years ago

Buying the Kohler Cast Iron Shower Pan with non-skid lines was my dream and now my nightmare! 3 years in and it is awful looking no matter what I do to it! Kohler takes no responsibility for making such an expensive product with such disappointing performance. It and their Choreograph series walls were what I bought to have easier maintenance. Instead the products have not held up and cost aLOT!

• Nancy Tse
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

WOW!!! In case anyone still sees this post. I am in literal SHOCK! I have had this Kohler tub for about 26 years. YES! Years! The non slip "strips" that Kohler adds to the tub has turned from white strips to light brown strips. I tried everything from Ajax, strong bleach solution, pure vinegar soaks, toilet bowl cleaner ...you name it. I saw a post about using Mr. Clean magic erasers. I had a piece of a Walmart brand left from cleaning kitty paw prints off white walls. So, I thought I would try it. NOT believing things I have heard about the product. ..I didn't take pictures. I SHOULD HAVE. One slight dragging motion across the stains and it disappeared to my white tub. I got addicted and couldn't stop! My tub is picture perfect like when I bought it! YES...IT REALLY WORKS!!!

• mightylev
    2 years ago

Yes it worked on mine too...but it took off the non slip strip in the area I used it.

• Julie K
    2 years ago

@Nancy Tse, I have a 28 yo Kohler cast iron tub with the dreadful (now brown) non-slip strips! I immediately tried a magic eraser on my strips after reading your post but didn't get the same results.

What exactly did you do?? My tub was wet and I also tried pouring hydrogen peroxide on my strips after trying the magic eraser but there was no noticeable improvement.

• mightylev
    2 years ago

I scrubbed the lines with the magic eraser but that whole area is now worn off. Mine looks like an absolute mess in my absolutely beautiful bathroom! Kohler is completely unresponsive. They told me to buy their cast iron cleaner. It didn't do much. It was a big mistake to use their shower pan.

• Linnie
    last year

I have a 25 yr old Kohler cast iron tub. I got used to the non-skids looking a very light gray, despite my efforts. So I just ordered on Amazon an extra large “Gorilla Grip” clear bath mat with multiple suction cups on the bottom to cover it up, haha (and actually having this mat made my 70 yr old self feel more secure).

Currently, we are in the midst of a bathroom remodel and the remodeler suggested replacing the tub with another! Wha?! It’s a second floor bathroom and that tub was uber-heavy to carry up for the first remodel and I didn’t want to replace a “perfectly good” cast iron with acrylic or fiberglass. The tub was pristine other than being outdated, lol (though I swear I saw the same design at a local Kohler store when looking at other fixtures). He knew I was trying to save money so I figured his main concern were the non-slip strips, LMAO! So before the remodeling began, I tried Dawn Platinum PowerWash. Sprayed it on the non-skid area and walked away for a half hr? Came back and scrubbed just a bit with an off-brand magic eraser. 85-75% improvement. Once the remodeling is done, I’m going to try hydrogen peroxide like Jane Camero recommended back in 2017, and see if I can get it to 100%!

Now, right before hitting “Post” I did a search and found out what Kohler recommends in this article https://www.everydaycheapskate.com/clean-bathtub-anti-slip-bottom/

“ROG3 is miraculous and will bring your tub back to its shiny new self including the slip-resistant etching, without damaging the porcelain or the anti-slip surface. You must get this product (actually it comes in a kit) from the manufacturer’s website. ROG3 is not available in stores or through Amazon.
    In the kit you will receive two bottles—ROG3 Blue Liquid and ROG1 White Cream plus a scrubbing pad and sprayer head, for about $55 plus shipping, which is quite a bargain as compared to having a tub refinished or replaced. Look for a discount and or free shipping option at the ROG3 site. Often the company will offer that at least for a first-time purchase.”