Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funky Granite - Sink is now in! What do you think??

Posted by podogpodog (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 18:47

I know I posted the granite earlier, but I wanted to show you with the sinks in. My kids really like it. There will be a mirror with a black frame installed above it too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organization by the Ocean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funky Granite - Sink is now in! What do you think??

another view

o

and another....

o

I think it's just awesome! if your kids are boys, hang some black and white sports photos on the wall, a true man cave! love it (and i have girls and am jealous of this bathroom!).

o

Funky and cool!

o

Great job! Love the stone.

o

Very cool. I second renomomma's suggestion of B&W photos.

o

It's awesome! I'd go with black & white photos also but I think that some nature scenes or subjects, along the line of Ansel Adams, would be amazing.

Art.com is a good source and I also just found this website which has some pretty cool photos....

http://www.visionlightgallery.com/gallery/Black_White_Photo_Art_By_Sub_C225.cfm

This one may not be the best for your room because it's rather literal, but I thought it was both inspiring and humorous at the same time....

Photobucket

It's titled "Resilience" (!)

o

Nice! Reminds me of my MIL's palladio granite.

o

Love the granite, but the sink is a bit harsh and contrasty with it I think. Something in Kohler's
Cashmere,

Thunder Gray,

or Ice Gray

would let the granite be the star it's meant to be.

o

Love it!!!

Your blog post on the shoe storage in your closet made me LOL though.

Boy you sure do have a LOT of footwear!!!

o

I love the granite, that is super cool! Although I do agree with the above poster, another sink would likely be a better choice, the one selected is to plain jane.

Here is a link that might be useful: BathroomVesselSinks.com

o

At the risk of piling on the sink comments, I was wondering if there was a particular reason why you opted for a drop-in sink as opposed to an undermount which would have been less obtrusive and allow the granite to be the focal point?

Your counter is really stunning and maybe there's no way you'd consider switching out a perfectly good sink... or is there...(?)

o

Hi everybody! Thanks for the comments. They are all super helpful. This is our first home we are building and any ideas are greatly appreciated. Cost is a big factor for us right now. The house has gotten bigger as we have gone along. Bigger houses mean bigger costs. We got a really good deal from our plumber on the sinks. We will possibly switch them out later. I love the grey sink by the way! I really wanted the undermounted sinks but our plumber swayed us away from them. He said if they ever need to be worked on or replaced that you would have to remove the entire countertop. I REALLy wanted the drop in sinks. Oh well.....I am still happy with pretty much everything. Thanks again for all of the great ideas and comments. You are very helpful. Keep em' coming. :)

o

I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom and I am installing a vanity with the same door/drawer layout as yours. I was thinking of installing my sink off center as you have done, but am concerned about having enough room in front of the sink with the vanity being butted up against the wall on the left. Are you comfortable with the amount of room you have? Are you planning on having your mirror sized the width of the whole vanity or only the sink portion of the vanity? Also, what is the width of your vanity? Thanks!

o

I absolutely love that granite and agree that you can always change the sink later--to be honest, once you have in the mirror, etc., you probably won't even mind the sink.

o

The granite is so fun! It reminds me of a pond where frogs would sit on lillypads.

I'm with everyone else...the stark plain white sink just clashes with the counter.

o

CarolT924,
I plan on putting a mirror across the whole area of the cabinet. There is enough room on the left side for a toothbrush holder and I put some jars on the other side to hold Q-Tips, cotton balls, etc. The length is about 3 feet. :)

o

Thanks for the info, my vanity is 42 inches wide and I am thinking of possibly having a mirror over the left side where the sink would be and installing a couple of floating shelves on the right or do the same as you are planning and have a mirror about as wide as the vanity. Your countertop is great and definitely a statement piece, enjoy!

o

That's granite?? Wow, is it cool!! I've never seen any stone like that at all. I'd like to know what geological phenomena caused it to look that way!

o

The granite is a marinace (my kitchen is black and gold marinace, this may be the same or just be black marinace as it doesn't have as many brown/gold tones as mine). It's literally the bottom of a prehistoric river bed in Brazil. All the rocks at the bottom of the river were filled in by black basalt from a lava flow. The granite slab is a cross-section of that resulting mega-conglomerate rock.

o

The granite is a marinace (my kitchen is black and gold marinace, this may be the same or just be black marinace as it doesn't have as many brown/gold tones as mine). It's literally the bottom of a prehistoric river bed in Brazil. All the rocks at the bottom of the river were filled in by black basalt from a lava flow. The granite slab is a cross-section of that resulting mega-conglomerate rock.

o

I had my Black Marinace (Mar in a chee) installed yesterday.There are different color variations of the Marinace granite. They also had Brown Marinace at my stone yard and it was really nice too. I think there is a Gold Marinace, as well. I went with the black as we have dark grey floors and white tiles. It is a contemporary bathroom and DH is building the floating vanity (no drawer fronts yet and sinks not installed. no hardware or mirror chosen yet) I will post pics when we are closer to being finished. In a way it is a shame because with our vanity top we are putting in 2 sinks so you will not see as much of the countertop as yours with the single sink. Love the granite though! It is considered an exotic granite.

o

I would love to see pictures of both of your granite countertops. I bet a brown variation would be beautiful. This was just a remnant piece we purchased from our granite dealer. It was just big enough for the vanity. Can you imagine how beautiful a kitchen would look with this granite??

o

Here's my kitchen countertop with black gold marinace. We had it brushed/leathered and it's very cool to see and to feel!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here