Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

12x24 floor tiles: Brick pattern, or not?

joannemb
11 years ago

I can't find a lot of pictures of this and would love your insight...

I'm doing white glossy subway tiles on the walls (traditional brick layout) with silver shadow grout. The floor is a white matte porcelain (marble look-alike) called Sorrento by Rex I Bianchi. Very little veining---It has some subtle mottling, but it is mostly white. It is rectified and I am planning on laying them as close as possible, and using a slightly darker grout than the walls (OR sticking with the silver shadow.)

My questions are:

1.) Should I lay the floor in a brick pattern? That is what I had origionally planned to do, but now that I'm going with darker grout (had previously thought white) I realize that the pattern will be more prounounced and I wonder if it will be "too much brick" all over. Should I place them in rows one directly on top of the other? How do you usually see this size laid on a floor?

2.) Could I stay with silver shadow grout on the floor too? Or do most people tend to go one shade darker than what is on the walls?

Comments (9)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

We used large format/rectangular tile in two of our bathrooms. In the MB, the 8x20's on the tub surround walls, and 12x24's (?) on the floor, are laid in a straight or stacked pattern. Both tile are rectified porcelain, with somewhat tight grout lines. In our hall bathroom, the 4x12 rectified porcelain tub surround tile, and the 6x12 travertine tile were laid in a brick joint pattern. Also, somewhat tight grout lines.

We, and our tile guy, felt that keeping the pattern consistent between the floors and walls, given the fact that the floor and wall tile were all similar in shape, made for a nice "flow" so to speak.

We always try to match the grout as closely as possible to tile, to make the grout lines blend-in as best as they can. This, of course, is personal preference. :-)

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

What about a chevron pattern - these in the picture are smaller than 12X24 but give the idea -
    I'm thinking of doing this - but I suspect it will cost more than brick pattern - haven't asked yet - still thinking

• carolt924
    11 years ago

We just finished installing 3X6 inch high gloss subway tile on our bathtub/shower walls and also laid 12X24 porcelain tiles on the floor in a herringbone pattern which I think looks great and a bit unexpected.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Pictures please! We are getting close to picking all our stuff for 2 bathrooms. I really like herringbone, but hope to see it in more pictures. Would you all share pictures, please?

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Herringbone may require more tile (for cutting) and also costs more because of the increased labor (or so I was told by several contractors). I ended up going with brick pattern and used 9"x18", which should give you a good idea of what the sizing would look like. And it saved me money. I was also concerned with the large tiles about the pattern being too busy for my small bathroom (about 110 square feel and rectangular).

{{gwi:1407818}}

{{gwi:1407817}}

{{gwi:1464926}}

• salbwil
    11 years ago

Kevin,
    love your bathroom ! Did your recessed panels come that way, or did your carpenter make them ? If they came that way, do you know where from ?
    Thank you,
    Salbwil

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

My contractor built the wainscoting. It seemed to be fairly straightforward.

• mnmamax3
    5 years ago

cat-mom. I know this thread is very old but do you have pics of your stacked floors tiles?