Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

oh no, now what do I do?

barbcollins
11 years ago

My tile is but the ceiling isn't.

After putting all the tile up there is a gap up to about a half an inch on one side. The back of the tub wall goes gradually that way.

What would you do?

caulk it and forget it?

Trim?

Comments (19)

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

Add crown.

Or skim coat the ceiling down.

Or if you used a caulk that matched the tile color it'd be less apparent.

Or fuggedaboutit.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mongoct - I'd like to fuggedaboutit, but it will probably catch my eye every time I go in, just because I know it's there!

We bought some composite trim last night and I am kicking up my faux skills. Will see how it looks when I am done.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Take down the last course of tile, add a 3rd row to the 2x2's, and then put your last row of tile back up...... just as you always planned it. :-)

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aaah, Bill, yes that's what I should have done, but it was 6:30, and DH was saying "What are we doing for dinner tonight".

I played wth some trim today. I think a little more brown and it will be fine.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

You still CAN do it. Put up the extra course of mosaics, let it harden overnight, and then re-install the last course of big tiles.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How would I get the top row off without damage?

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

So long as the tile was put up within the past 24-48 hours you might very well be able to pop them off using a wide blade masons chisel in the grout joints to wedge them off. You may have to replace a tile or two, but do it gently, and they SHOULD pop right off without damaging the backerboard. then use a 5 in 1 to scrape the thinset off.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

If they DON'T pop right off, don't even attempt this, because chances are good you WILL ruin the backerboard.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Bill,

Well yes it has been over 24 hours, and I don't have a mason's chisel.

I think I will leave them up there, and use my faux trim.
    Lesson learned for next time :)

Not too bad for a first try:

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

That actually looks pretty good!!

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here it is pre-grout and prior to my final thinset cleanup(I will be grouting next weekend).

I think once I grout/caulk it won't be noticed. Especially because the Mosaic will grab your eye.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Very nice recovery! :) Looks great.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Perfect, you did a great job on that color and finish!

• sweeby
    11 years ago

VERY nice! I'll have to remember that for our next shower...

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sweeby - Probably better to do as Bill said (before you let the thinset harden)

In case you want to know how I did it so fast...

1. Purchased some cheap composite molding from Lowes (mold resistant etc, pre-primed) and had DH cut it.
    2. Painted it with Valspar Stone Paint to add some texture. Found a color that was close to the light color on the tile. Let it dry.
    3. Took a paper plate and sprayed some brown spray paint on it to create a puddle. I used the spray paint because it was what I had on hand.
    4. Pat it on a paper towel then blotted the brown on top of the stone paint.
    5. Applied the trim to the corners with the thinset.

I had done something similar in the kitchen but it took longer, but is probably more durable (and needs to be in the kitchen)

1. Mixed up some thinset in paint for base color and painted it wood mold trim. Let me that dry a couple days.
    2. Did the same above with the brown paint
    3. Coated the trim well with polyurethane before applying the to the counter edges.
    4. Caulk well between the edge of the counter and the trim.

Here is out that turns out:

• coolbeansw
    11 years ago

Wow! Very clever

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

Nice save!

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

Please explain:

1. Mixed up some thinset in paint for base color and painted it wood mold trim. Let me that dry a couple days.

I'm really curious as to how you did it, and why you did it differently for the kitchen.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"I'm really curious as to how you did it, and why you did it differently for the kitchen."

A couple reasons:

Mainly for durability. The kitchen counter edges would get a lot of scrubbing, water, knocks from pots & pans etc. I wanted it as tough has possible. Also I did not want to use a plastic molding in the kitchen for fear that heat from the oven or dishwasher may effect it's shape.

I had played around with several options for the kitchen when I finally came up with that one. With just paint it looked bad, I needed texture to make it resemble the tile. I thought about drywall setting compound, but since I already had an open bag of thinset I used that. Besides thinset is rock solid after it hardens.

I had plenty of time to do the kitchen trim, but I was in a hurry in the bathroom. I wanted to get the tiling all finished so I can grout this weekend.

I liked the idea of using the plastic molding in the bathroom because it won't rot. Since these are on the top of a shower enclosure they probably won't be "scrubbed" but wiped down occasionally. The paint held up well while I was doing my final cleanup of the thinest on the tiles & molding.

I actually planned on using the same technique with the thinset, but while we were in Lowes I ventured down the paint aisle and had a "ah ha" moment. I realized the stone texture paint would be quicker and easier.