Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohler DTV water not draining fast enought

Posted by trader14 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 18:29

So we put in a kohler DTV in with 3 body sprays and a ceiling watertile that has 4 individual bodysprays on it. Now when all bodysprays and watertiles are on a lot of water comes out. We only have a 2" drain and because of the way the pipes are situated going to a larger drain wasn't a option. I doubt there is anything we can do but thought i'd reach out and ask if anyone had any suggestions. thanks and cheers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohler DTV water not draining fast enought

Over here that system would not have met code. A 2" drain is rated at 6 gpm and if each spray is rated at 2 gpm so you have 8 gpm draining just from the watertile and if you're using the body sprays at the same time, you are attempting to drain 14 gallons per minute through a drain that can only drain 6 gallons per minute. You need a minimum 3" pipe ALL the way to the sewer.

In addition if any other lines, like the sink or bathtub, drain into the same pipe you could exacerbate the problem.

All I can say is you'd better be careful the water doesn't overflow your shower pan and cause real damage.

And is your water heater big enough to give you enough hot water. At 14 gpm you could get an almost three minute shower from a 50 gallon hot water heater, maybe 5 if you mix in cold water.

LOL but DH would die laughing if he could see the things I've needed to learn to remodel our own bathroom including the dream shower he wants

o
RE: Kohler DTV water not draining fast enought

That will never pass inspection if you go to sell. It's a flood hazard, and if you have an issue, it's doubtful your insurance company would pay a claim because you deliberately violated code. Get rid of the ceiling watertile and you will probably be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here